Clinical background for this location strongly preferred - Certified Medical Assistant or LPN preferred.
This position is responsible for overseeing specified areas of the office in collaboration with the Practice Manager. Primary responsibilities include ensuring patients receive friendly, efficient service and maintaining efficient flow of the overall office, working with other supervisors to achieve operational goals as defined by the practice leadership. This position may supervise Medical Reception, Medical Records and may include Clinical Staff, ensuring an effective team environment. This position typically works in an environment where a Practice Manager oversees multiple office locations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Responsible for ensuring patients receive friendly, efficient service, supervising the medical reception staff, planning and implementing operational processes of the front desk department, and working with other managers in the office to achieve the operational goals.
2. Manages more complex patient reception/medical records problems or insurance issues.
3. Manages the medical records and reception staff and, at some locations, clinical staff to ensure an effective team environment. Supervises day-to-day operations of assigned areas to ensure efficient, fiscally responsible and customer-responsive procedures and operations. Is approachable and welcomes opportunity to provide feedback to staff and problem resolution to patients.
4. Oversees tasks that optimize workflow; provides suggestions to continually improve processes and the customer experience.
5. Communicates thoroughly and promptly with office leadership, providers, triage and staff regarding all issues impacting day-to-day operations; develop clinical protocols as needed to ensure compliance with federal regulations.
6. Maintains regular schedules for the reception and medical records staff; updates employee schedules and PTO in IHA's electronic timekeeping system; in conjunction with the Practice Manager approves or declines reception and medical records PTO requests.
7. Effectively organizes training materials for new employees and keeps materials up to date with any changes in procedures.
8. Keeps department staff informed on new guidelines and information that is required to do their jobs.
9. Oversees the ordering and maintenance of office supplies for the front office.
10. In conjunction with the Practice Manager, hires and trains department staff as well as conducts employee performance reviews and ongoing coaching for department staff; documents employee interactions and resolves patient and staff issues.
11. Assists in the development and oversight of the office budget.
12. Manages clerical audits, internal and external, for the office.
13. Maintains awareness of provider schedules and facilitates the efficiency of scheduling through training and monitoring of the daily schedules.
14. Provides feedback to staff when needed and maintains knowledge of all office services, billing, and managed care department basic services.
15. In conjunction with the Practice Manager, ensures that Patient Satisfaction survey process is administered according to established procedures, coordinates the collection of required number of surveys for each provider by ensuring that reception staff are distributing surveys according to instruction.
16. Actively supports the front office functions by performing all duties of a Medical Receptionist on a regular basis. Answers telephone, takes and relays accurate messages, schedules and confirms appointments.
17. Greets all individuals arriving at the office courteously, and assists with ensuring that their needs are met. Obtains necessary patient registration information, verifies patient insurance eligibility prepares charts for visits in accordance with IHA protocols, and notifies clinical staff of patient. Completes patient encounter forms and collects payments and may posts charges to billing system. Retrieves and files EMR/paper charts and miscellaneous reports.
18. Attends monthly Reception Leadership meetings, provides updates to staff and leadership through regularly scheduled staff meetings.
19. Supports other offices, attends required meetings and training, and participates in committees as requested.
20. Assumes additional duties as required.
1. Creates a positive, professional, service-oriented work environment for staff, patients and family members by supporting the IHA CARES mission and core values statement
2. Must be able to work effectively as a member of the office reception and medical records team.
3. Successfully completes IHA's "The Customer" training and adheres to IHA's standard of promptly providing a high level of service and respect to internal or external customers.
4. Maintains knowledge of and complies with IHA standards, policies and procedures, including IHA's Employee Handbook.
5. Maintains complete knowledge of office services and in the use of all relevant office equipment, computer, and manual systems
6. Maintains strict patient and employee confidentiality in compliance with IHA and HIPAA guidelines
7. Serves as a role model, by demonstrating exceptional ability and willingness to take on new and additional responsibilities. Embraces new ideas and respects cultural differences.
8. Uses resources efficiently.
9. If applicable, responsible for ongoing professional development – maintains appropriate licensure/certification and continuing education credentials, participates in available learning opportunities.
Performance that meets or exceeds IHA CARES Values expectation as outlined in IHA Performance Review document, relative to position.
EDUCATION: Associate's degree; High School graduate or equivalent with applicable college coursework or seminars in management and supervision. Prefer Associate's or Bachelor's degree in relevant field (Management, Healthcare Administration, etc.)
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE: Minimum of 5 years' experience working in a Medical Office, with Reception or Cross-Trained Medical Assisting duties required. Prior supervisory experience strongly preferred.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS (ABILITIES & SKILLS):
1. Demonstrated ability to work independently and supervise an office staff with the general oversight of the Practice Manager.
2. Ability to effectively supervise and manage functional area within the Medical Office (Reception, Medical Records), providing feedback and guidance to staff and support more complex patient reception/medical records problems or insurance issues.
3. Knowledge of patient care procedures and organizational policies related to position responsibilities.
4. Proficient/knowledgeable in medical terminology.
5. Ability to perform mathematical calculations needed during the course of performing basic job duties.
6. Proficient in operating a standard desktop and Windows-based computer system, including but not limited to, electronic medical records, NextGen, email, e-learning, intranet, Microsoft Word and Excel, and computer navigation. Ability to use other software as required while performing the essential functions of the job.
7. Excellent communication skills in both written and verbal forms, including proper phone etiquette. Ability to speak before groups of people.
8. Ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented environment; courteous and friendly demeanor.
9. Ability to work effectively with various levels of organizational members and diverse populations including IHA staff, providers, family members, insurance carriers, vendors, external customers and community groups.
10. Ability to cross-train in other areas of practice in order to achieve smooth flow of all operations.
11. Good organizational and time management skills to effectively juggle multiple priorities and time constraints.
12. Ability to exercise sound judgment and problem-solving skills, specifically as it relates to resolving staffing and complex patient reception/medical records problems or insurance issues.
13. Ability to handle patient and organizational information in a confidential manner.
14. Knowledge of the compliance aspects of clinical care and patient privacy and best practices in medical office operations.
15. Ability to travel to other office/practice sites and meeting and training locations.
16. Successful completion of IHA competency-based program within introductory and training period.
MINIMUM PHYSICAL EXPECTATIONS:
1. Physical activity that often requires keyboarding, phone work and charting.
2. Physical activity that often requires extensive time working on a computer.
3. Physical activity that often requires sitting, walking, standing, bending, stooping, reaching, climbing, kneeling and/or twisting.
4. Physical activity that sometimes requires lifting, pushing and/or pulling up to 30 lbs.
5. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, depth perception, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust and focus.
6. Manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment.
7. Must hear and speak well enough to conduct business over the telephone or face to face for long periods of time in English.
MINIMUM ENVIRONMENTAL EXPECTATIONS:
This job operates in a medical facility and requires regular walking to various locations around the hospital/clinic. Employees will be working where there is patient care equipment. Hazardous materials, including bloodborne pathogens and bodily fluids are also present. Exposure to sharps, x-rays, patients' conditions and some unpleasant sights, smells and contagious diseases is possible. This position requires significant interaction with people (many of whom are scared, hurt and/or ill) which can be stressful and result in competing priorities.