The primary purpose of the Dietary Cook is to cook and serve meals, following specific recipes, and guidelines set by care plans of residents. In addition, assist with the daily functions of the Dietary Department and to maintain a clean, safe work environment for all resident meals in accordance to the facility, OBRA, Federal, State and other regulatory expectations. Position report to Dietary Manager.
Essential Job Functions::
This facility expects their employees to promote an atmosphere of teamwork with other employees and hospitality and comfort for its residents. Therefore, the following list of duties is not all-inclusive:
Responsible for the preparation, delivery and clean-up of daily meals. This includes: (Cooking, baking, mixing, preparing food according to specification;
* Preparing and portioning food items following recipes and menus;
* Being involved in tray set up and delivery of meals;
* Assist in putting away stock on delivery days;
* Washing and storing all pots, pans, dishes and utensils;
* Bussing tables and cleaning dining room if needed;
* Sweeping and mopping floors as well as assigned special cleaning;
* Attending and participating in in-service educational classes, department meetings and all staff in-services as directed;
* Maintaining the confidentiality of all residents and their care to ensure resident rights and privacy are protected at all times;
* Reporting and documenting resident and/or visitor incidents, accidents, complaints or allegations according to the facility’s policy and procedure using the designated occurrence reporting system.
p. Complying with safety requirements, infection control measures, and maintaining a clean work environment in accordance with facility policy as indicated by:
* Following all safety procedures/precautions when using equipment;
* Ensuring the dietary work areas are maintained in a clean and sanitary manner;
* Reporting equipment malfunctions or breakdowns to supervisor as soon as possible;
* Adhering to sanitation regulations;
* Reporting all unsafe/hazardous conditions to supervisor immediately;
* Abiding by all emergency protocols for crash carts, resident codes, fire safety, missing residents, tornado preparation, violent residents, Wander guard alarms, door alarms, and other facility policies as assigned;
* Reporting any forms of abuse witnessed or aware of the Manager on duty immediately;
* Following infection control and universal precautions procedures
* Have an understanding of the safe dietary procedures and the geriatric community.
* Must possess interpersonal skills such as:
* The ability to follow oral, written and verbal instructions, function independently and make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action;
* Must be able to read, write, spend and understand the English language.
* Have organized, neat work habits.
* Willingness to work for the best interest of the residents and facility.
* Have personal integrity and be able to deal tactfully with residents, family members, visitors, government agencies and personnel;
* Be able to work harmoniously with Dietary and all other facility personnel;
* Requires judgment in prioritizing the performance of tasks, duties and responsibilities in accordance with established standards, policies and procedures;
* The ability to be discrete and protect the integrity of confidential information and stay within Corporate Compliance;
* Patience, a cheerful disposition, enthusiasm and a willingness to handle residents based on whatever maturity and physical level in which they are currently functioning;
* The ability to adhere to professional code of ethics, and
* The ability to relate information concerning a resident’s condition.
* High school diploma or GED is preferred.
* Some Dietary experience is preferred.
* Genuine caring for and interest in elderly and disabled people in a nursing facility.
* Comply with the Resident’ Rights and Facility Policies and Procedures.
* Perform work tasks within the physical demand requirements as outlined below.
* Perform Essential Duties as outlined above.