The Licensed Practical Nurse practices according to the philosophy and policies/procedures of the community and state standards of practice. The LPN performs under the direction of the Wellness/Assisted Living Director. The LPN assumes responsibility of “charge nurse” as assigned. The LPN assigns and provides direct supervision of personal care staff in accordance with the scope of their job description.
* The following specifications may differ depending upon the number of available employees among whom the performance of a particular job function can be distributed and the size and type of community.
* Employees will be required to perform any other job related duties requested by their supervisor.
* Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, incumbent will possess the mental abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.
* All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
QUALIFICATIONS: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.:
* Freedom from illicit use of drugs.
* Freedom from use and effects of use of drugs and alcohol in the workplace.
* Persons who have been found guilty by a court of law of abusing, neglecting, or mistreating individuals in a health care related setting are ineligible for employment in the position.
* Demonstrates effective time management skills.
Education and/or Experience:
* High school graduate or equivalent.
* Must have a valid, unrestricted nursing license in the state.
* Must demonstrate competency in the following areas:
* Staff supervision;
* Assessment and resident care skills;
* Medication management principles and practice; and
* Written and verbal communication skills.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
* Current CPR certification.
* Maintain CEU requirements.
* Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business and clinical periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations.
* Ability to write reports, business correspondence, nursing/Resident progress notes and nursing procedures.
* Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from department heads, customers (Residents, family members, physicians, etc.) and the general public.
* Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
* Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
* Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables.
* Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written oral, diagram or schedule form.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each key function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the key functions.
* Resident Care
* Provide direct resident services and medication management when needed.
* Assist in the implementation of and/or providing additional information for the resident service plan and updating them on an ongoing basis.
* Assist care providers with the implementation of service plans.
* Oversee the provision of assistance with AOL’s to residents whose service plan indicates the need.
* Communicate pertinent resident information to co-workers when leaving the community and/or at shift changes.
* Assume responsibility for quality resident care and seek guidance from supervisory staff when necessary.
* Communicate with physicians/other health providers regarding the resident’s health status when appropriate.
* Determine when a resident requires room service for meals due to illness.
* Maintain accurate and complete resident file documentation.
* Schedule tests ordered by the physician, assist residents in scheduling medical appointments and transportation.
* Visit/assess residents who are ill and provide/arrange necessary follow-up.
* Respond immediate to emergency situations or resident calls.
* Welcome and orient new residents to the building and service available in the community.
* Provide educational support and guidance to residents and their families.
* Ass ist with monthly Wellness checks.
* Staff Supervision
* Assist with orientation and education of resident care staff.
* Make daily rounds to monitor care provided by resident care staff.
* Assist with scheduling and supervision of resident care staff.
* Maintain current knowledge of state regulations and community policies/procedures .
* Assist in the evaluation and discipline of resident care staff as delegated by the AL/Wellness Director
* Medication Management
* Keep MAR’s complete and accurate.
* Oversee medication management for residents whose service plan demonstrates the need.
* Demonstrate competency in all areas of medication administration .
* Comply with community, state and licensure guidelines/standards of practice.
* Promptly notifies the resident’s health provider of any medication errors, omissions, side effects and/or food-drug interactions.
* Maintain medication storage, destruction and narcotic management within the community and regulatory guidelines.
* Resident Rights
* Promotes and protects resident’s rights, assists Residents to make informed decisions , treats Residents with dignity and respect and protects Residents’ personal belongings.
* Guest Relations
* Demonstrate courteous, polite and friendly attitude with residents, families , visitors and co-workers .
* Assure that resident care staff conduct reflects the community’s hospitality/guest relations standards.
* Respond to the needs of residents, families and visitors by providing immediate assistance.
* Use proper body mechanics when bending or lifting.
* Maintain current knowledge of the communities fire safety procedures, including the correct use of the fire alarm system.
* Able to follow the designated plan of action in the event of a fire or other emergency .
* Maintain current knowledge and follow the community’s infection prevention policies and procedures.
* Performance Requirements
* Perform all duties according to policy and in a professional manner.
* Demonstrate good judgment and decision making skills.
* Comply with community attendance policies.
* Comply with community personal appearance policies.
* Attend staff meetings and all mandatory in-service programs.
* Other duties are assigned.
Demonstrates active listening techniques , gains support through effective relationships, treats others with dignity and respect, seeks feedback , sets clear standards for performance , evaluates job performance and provides effective feedback.
Attends in-service and education programs and attends continuing education required for maintenance of professional certification or licensure.
While performing the duties of this job, must have the strength and endurance required to stand, walk, use hands or fingers, reach with hands and arms, talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance and stoop or kneel. The employee on occasion will assist to lift and/or transfer Residents weighing between 100 to 250 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distant vision and peripheral vision.