Plan, organize, and direct a program of activities, which provides opportunity for entertainment, exercise, relaxation, and expression and fulfills basic psychological, social, and spiritual needs, which will be available to all residents of the facility. Assists the physically, emotionally, and cognitively impaired individual and family to explore appropriate avocation/leisure pursuits.
Essential Job Functions::
This facility expects their employees to promote an atmosphere of teamwork with other employees and hospitality and comfort for its residents. Therefore, the following list of duties is not all-inclusive:
Assist the Activity Coordinator in all the following duties:
* Develop, organize, and implement a program of activities to meet the social, emotional, physical and other therapeutic needs of residents as identified on the residents’ plan of care and within the specified budget.
* Initiate and promote activities both within the facility and outside the facility, as weather permits, insuring the safety and well being of each resident at all times.
* Coordinate and verify that assistance is provided to residents for activities and events as necessary.
* Create an ongoing calendar of activities, which creatively meets multiple needs and is accessible and appealing to both men and women of all ages and abilities.
* Consistently maintain standards for activity scheduling and documentation established by policies and regulatory requirements.
* Solicit the involvement of the community (clubs, groups, organizations, agencies, churches, individuals, etc.) when planning facility activities and events.
* Plan, organize and direct Activity Department fund raising events.
* Maintain detailed records of activity programs and participation of individual residents, identifying progress toward established care plan goals.
* Participate in resident care planning by identifying the activity needs of residents in accordance with the medical assessment.
* Develop and distribute a monthly calendar of events. Provide a copy of the calendar in each resident’s room, and at least one large calendar prominently displayed in the facility.
* Maintain a pictorial scrapbook of activities and events sponsored by the facility during the year.
* Develop and maintain an active volunteer program through marketing, development, support, and organization. Encourage participation by residents, family members, staff, visitors, and community groups and individuals. Assign and train volunteers and maintain documentation of volunteer hours. Reward volunteers for service annually and at other special events.
* Train groups of volunteers and students in techniques of recreation and therapy.
* Prepare progress notes for medical staff reflecting residents’ reactions and evidence of progress or regression.
* Maintain all activity related records required by regulations and Medical Records – activity assessments, progress notes, and discharge summary.
* Assist the residents with organizing and maintaining active Resident Council. Provide accommodation, assistance, scheduling, and other means to assure that residents have the opportunity to meet a minimum of one time per month. Channel feedback from Resident council to the appropriate facility personnel to insure that resident issues are dealt with in a timely and efficient manner. Document minutes of Resident Council meetings as well as follow-up to any concerns expressed at the meeting.
* Attend in-service education programs in order to meet facility educational requirements.
* Be familiar with Standard Precautions, Exposure Control Plan, Fire Drill and Evacuation Procedures and know how to use the information.
* Maintain confidentiality of resident and facility records/information.
* Protect residents from neglect, mistreatment, and abuse.
* Protect the personal property of the residents of the facility.
* Others as directed by the supervisor or administrator.
* High school diploma or GED
* Prior experience in a resident activities program in a health care setting preferred.
* Prior completion of a state-approved training course, or willingness to complete a state approved training course within six months of employment.
* Excellent creative and communication skills
* Skill at working with individuals who have cognitive, physical or sensory disabilities.
* Practical knowledge of how an Activity Department functions in a nursing facility.
* General knowledge of regulatory requirements for an activity program in a long-term care facility.
* Outstanding interpersonal skills with high level of energy and enthusiasm
* Experience in working with volunteers and ability to organize and develop volunteer program.
* Organization, documentation, and implementation of detailed programs.
* Genuine caring for and interest in elderly and disabled people in a nursing facility.
* Comply with the Resident’ Rights and Facility Policies and Procedures.
* Perform work tasks within the physical demand requirements as outlined below.
* Perform Essential Duties as outlined above.