Enhanced Benefits Now Available!:
The charge nurse is responsible for the supervision of the total nursing activity of a specified area during the tour of duty. Delegates responsibility to nursing personnel for the direct care of specific residents on the basis of psychological, social, spiritual, and physical needs to obtain maximum utilization of staff time and abilities. Insure that each resident receives treatment, medications, diet, and other therapies as prescribed. Plan and supervise rehabilitative and restorative programs, in conjunction with the DON, specific for each resident so they may reach their maximum level of function. Define and implement preventative measures to guard against accidents, injury, deformities, decubitis, and infections. Maintain harmonious relationships with ancillary personnel and the residents. Attend educational classes to better analyze residents and staff, and report to director of nursing and the primary physician. Record all observations, medications, and treatments accurately, concisely, and completely in the medical record. Actively participate on committees to gain knowledge and share information which may facilitate improved resident care.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Receive and give report at the beginning and end of each shift. Relate pertinent information, changes in resident’s conditions, new orders, and evaluate resident’s care needs for planning assignments.
* Assign medication to nurse, assign groups to nursing assistants, and monitor and coordinate assignments to make certain they are completed.
* Count narcotics at the beginning and end of each shift with the in coming nurse and sign the narcotic count book. Administer and chart medications as ordered, perform accu checks and record the results in the MAR, and know the reason for administration of medication, route of administration, desirable and adverse effects, and observe resident’s reaction.
* Supervise tray service in the dining room and in resident rooms. Observe eating habits and assist with serving and feeding residents.
* MEDICAL RECORDS
* Properly obtain and document physician orders after complete transcription of orders. Transcribe new orders into the MAR, TAR, dietary slips, and complete proper documentation of lab orders. Accurate, complete, and concise problem oriented charting based on resident care plan, and according to charting schedule in conjunction with policy and procedure. Complete weekly nursing summaries, and supervise nursing assistants in charting on ADL flow sheets. Complete nursing assessment on new residents.
* NURSING CARE
* Designate assignments to CNAs and supervise and evaluate performance on a daily basis. Assist with orientation of new employees, and teach and observe procedures of employee.
* Transcribe accurately and completely all orders onto the MAR, TAR, dietary forms, and lab book. Document any changes in resident condition or medications/treatments in nursing notes and notify the resident’s physician and family. Arrange transfer and transportation of resident if necessary and fill out appropriate forms.
* Notify family of condition changes, accidents, or incidents. Interpret plan of care and treatments to family as needed, and encourage participation in the plan of care. Be attentive to family complaints and concerns. Always be polite and helpful.
* Attend in service classes, staff meetings, and continuing education courses when offered.
SET A POSITIVE EXAMPLE FOR THE REST OF THE STAFF. BE NEAT, CLEAN, COURTEOUS, AND PROFESSIONAL AT ALL TIMES.
* Graduate of an approved school of nursing.
* Current license of good standing in Indiana.
* Evidence of good health, grooming, maturity, and emotional stability.
* Possess leadership and organizational abilities.
* Have genuine interest and concern for the long term residents with emphasis on restorative and rehabilitation nursing.
* Desire and interest to continue to study, learn, and grow as a professional person.
* Ability to communicate well and establish good interpersonal relationships.
* Direct supervision of certified nursing assistants.
* Direct supervision of medication personnel, if applicable