Responsible to plan, organize, develop, educate and direct the overall operation of the Dietary Department in accordance with current Federal, State, and local standards, guidelines and regulations, facility policies and as directed by the Administrator.
* Licensed Registered Dietitian, registry eligible dietitian or meets one of the following:
* Graduate of a dietetic technician or dietetic assistance training program classroom approved by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
* Graduate prior to July 1, 1990 of a department approved course that provided 90 plus hours of classroom instruction in food service supervision and has had experience as a supervisor in a healthcare institution which included consultation from a registered dietitian
* Successfully completed a Association of Nutrition and Foodservice Professionals approved dietary mangers course.
* Is certified as a dietary manager by the dietary managers association
* Has training and experience in food service supervision and management in a military service equivalent in content to the programs in the statements above
* Must possess a current/valid state of Illinois Sanitation Certificate or be willing to take the necessary educational course to obtain one.
* Current knowledge of Federal and State Long-Term Care (LTC) Dietary regulations and/or ability to understand and interpret.
* Must be knowledgeable of dietary procedures.
* Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language in an understandable manner.
* Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action that are in the best interest of the residents, staff and families.
* Must possess the ability to deal tactfully with residents, family members, visitors, personnel, government agencies/personnel and the general public in a professional manor.
* Must possess leadership ability and a willingness to work harmoniously with other personnel.
* The ability to accept and utilize professional supervision, consultation and in-service training/educational opportunities.
* Must demonstrate the ability to handle confidential data with professional discretion.
* Must be able to move intermittently throughout the work day.
* Must possess sight/hearing senses, or use prosthetics that will enable these senses to function adequately so that the requirements of the position can be fully met.
* Must function independently, have flexibility, personal integrity and the ability to work effectively with the residents, family members, personnel and support agencies.
* Must be in good general health and demonstrate emotional stability.
* Must be able to cope with the mental and emotional stress of the position.
* Must be able to relate to and work with ill, disabled, elderly, emotionally upset and at times hostile people.
* May be required to lift, push, pull, and move equipment, supplies, etc. in excess of fifty (50) pounds throughout the day.
* Must be able to taste and smell food to determine quality and palatability.
* Is subject to exposure to infectious waste, diseases, conditions, etc., including exposure to the (HIV) AIDS and Hepatitis B viruses.
* Ensure that established departmental policies and procedures are followed
* Develop a written dietary plan of care for each resident
* Attends and actively participates in resident care plan conference
* Assess nutritional statue of each resident per standards of care
* Recruit, interview, and select dietary personnel with the approval of the Administrator
* Schedule department work hours, personnel, work assignments, etc. to expedite work
* Complete performance evaluations timely
* Assure that the dietary personnel are performing required duties, and following appropriate procedures
* Plan, conduct, and participate in in-service education programs
* Orient new employees to the facility, his/her department, and its policies and procedures
* Attend and participate in continuing education programs
* Recommend to the Administrator the equipment and supply needs of the department
* Place orders for equipment and supplies as necessary following established budgetary guidelines approved by the Administrator
* Place orders for purchasing food
* Communicate with vendors
* Maintain budgetary restraints by following established procedures for ordering
* Inspect food storage rooms, utility/janitorial closets, etc. for up keep and supply control
* Process diet changes and new diets as received from nursing department
* Review resident food complains from Resident Food Committee or Resident Council and make written report to the Administrator of proposed intervention within five (5) working days
* Interview residents, or family members, to obtain diet history and food preferences
* Maintain an up to date record of the resident’s food likes and dislikes on both the diet history form and diet card
* Maintain an up to date list of all diets, blue cards, nourishment list, and resident diet census
* Assess all new admissions and routinely reassess per policy
* Complete MDS section and corresponding CAA’s and triggers for each resident per care plan schedule
* Completed Care Plans as triggered
* Visit with residents and/or family to evaluate their acceptance of meals served
* Review Meal Monitoring Form and document on those residents identified to have decreased oral intake or an unusual eating pattern
* Assure that stock levels of food supplies are maintained at adequate levels
* Ensure that all personal operate dietary equipment in a safe manner
* Work with Corporate Dietary Coordinator as necessary and implement changes as recommended
* Development, maintain, and implement the facility’s Quality Assurance Program for the Dietary department
* Attend department head meetings, Infection Control meetings, Quality Assurance Meetings, etc. as directed
* Supervise, educate, counsel and discipline dietary department, as needed
* Ensure food Handler Training is completed by all dietary staff.
* Perform rounds on a daily basis to guarantee all forms are completed, food temperatures are accurate, all equipment is functioning properly, all food items are labeled and stored properly, etc.
* Supervise all dining rooms for proper service of diets, portions, temperatures, sanitation, etc.
* Ensure staff is preparing food per planned menus and recipes.
* Cleaning schedule is being kept up to date
* Perform other related duties as assigned