Summary of Responsibility:
The Wellness Nurse assists with the Wellness department being operated efficiently and in compliance with all applicable legislation and regulatory requirements; providing the highest possible standard of care through effective use of the nursing process. The Wellness nurse assists with orientation and education of the resident care team and may serve as a supervisor for the community in the absence of all department managers.
* Follows all policies, procedures and standards for nursing care and infection control.
* Develops and maintains effective relationships and two-way communication with residents and resident representatives; observes residents for significant changes and adverse reactions or conditions on an on-going basis and submits information for resident records on an informative and timely basis.
* Maintains open, effective, and ongoing communication with the community’s medical staff and medical community.
* Keeps the Wellness Director informed regarding any unusual incidents or issues regarding residents, team members, or the community.
* Assists with the development of care plans according to the resident’s preferences, needs and abilities.
* Prepares for the shift by reviewing information/reports, such as care plans, daily and follows care plan changes in a timely and accurate manner.
* Maintains the inventory of medication, dispenses medications, and maintains the Medication Administration Records for the residents.
* Takes and records vital signs of residents.
* Serves as the first responder to residents in an emergency situation, such as having a fall, heart attack, or stroke.
* Administers tests, such as TB tests, and gives inoculations as needed.
* Responds to inquiries from family members and resident representatives about residents and communicates with the pharmacy and other providers regarding resident care.
* Assists with updating and maintaining manuals used by the Wellness department.
* Assists the Wellness Director in planning, decision-making, budgeting and monitoring expenditures for the Wellness department; assists in keeping the Wellness department within budget by controlling waste.
* Trains and supervises the Wellness Resident Assistants and keeps the Wellness Director informed regarding their work performance.
* Assists the Dining Services Director with ensuring all residents receive diets prescribed by the physician; performs resident assistance with meals and between-meal nourishment and assists Dining Services as needed.
* Maintains documentation which reflects wellness care provided, the resident’s response to care and disposition of each case.
* Contributes to a safe and sanitary environment being maintained for residents, team members, and visitors.
* Assists residents with personal comfort activities and hygiene services (bathing, shampooing hair, skin and nail care, dressing, feeding, shaving, oral hygiene, toilet assistance and cleaning of soiled resident) according to personalized care plans and daily assignments, as needed to support the work of the Resident Assistants.
* Assists residents with daily routines and housekeeping tasks that the residents need assistance in performing, such as straightening the resident’s room each day, as needed to support the work of the Resident Assistants.
* Removes all soiled linens from rooms; changes bed linens, towels, and wash cloths, as needed to support the work of the Resident Assistants.
* Responds promptly to residents’ emergency call signals and follows up with appropriate responses; makes rounds to check on the safety and security of residents.
* Assists the resident when transferring or moving to various areas within the community or to transportation vehicles.
* Keeps work and storage areas neat and well organized.
* Notifies the Wellness Director when supplies are needed.
* Provides input to the formulation and evaluation of standards of care.
* Participates in the identification of team educational needs.
* Assists other departments with programming and activities as needed.
* Serves as supervisor for the community in the absence of all department managers.
* Informs families when supplies are needed for residents.
* Works beyond normal working hours and days and in other positions temporarily, as necessary for effective resident care and community operation.
* Assists with community special events, including outreach to the greater community.
* Lives the Dominion Senior Living culture in all aspects of the position; demonstrates the Dominion Senior Living “L.O.V.E.” model and professionalism when interacting with residents, resident representatives, team members, and the general public.
* Engages in open communication within and between community departments and is cooperative.
* Attends and actively participates in team meetings and required or optional continuing education programs.
* Assists in the evacuation of residents as necessary.
* Maintains the confidentiality of all resident information and honors the residents’ personal property rights.
* Maintains a safe working environment through the prevention of accidents, the preservation of equipment, and the achievement of safe working practices.
* Performs any other duties that may be assigned by the Executive Director or Central Services.
Education, Experience, Licensure/Certification, Age Requirement:
* Active LPN/LVN license from the State of the community is required.
* Must successfully complete a CPR and First Aid course and maintain a current CPR and First Aid certificate.
* Must obtain valid Continuing Education credits as required by the State of the community.
* Experience with seniors and especially cognitively impaired seniors (those with Alzheimer’s or Dementia) is preferred.
* A minimum of three years of experience in a healthcare community is preferred.
* Approved criminal background check, physical, drug screen and TB skin test is required.
* Must be a minimum of eighteen (18) years of age.