Verity Health System offers a dynamic environment for individuals dedicated to careers in health care -- whether you seek a clinical or administrative role. Created in December 2015, the new Verity Health System team is working to revitalize our facilities to create a more welcoming, healing environment for our patients. We are investing in new technology to advance our delivery of safe, quality patient care. If you welcome the challenge of re-inventing healthcare for the patients we serve at our Verity Health hospitals and through our Verity Medical Foundation, this could be the opportunity for you. With more than 8,000 employees and physicians, Verity Health is a non-profit, non-religious health care system with 1,650 inpatient beds, six active emergency rooms and host of medical specialties including: orthopedics, transplant surgery, cardiology, maternal/child health and wound care, among other specialties. We are committed to the Verity Values of Caring, Respect, Integrity, Passion and Stewardship and the goal of serving our communities for generations to come.
Under the direction of the divisional director of the service, the clinical manager has major responsibility for the implementation of the vision, plans and standards of the organization and nursing services within his/her defined areas of responsibility. This includes allocation of available resources to promote efficient, effective and compassionate nursing care, input into executive decisions, and communication of those decisions to the nursing staff. Administrative leadership and expertise is provided within an atmosphere of interactive management which supports the development of collegial relationships throughout the organization. The Newborn Intensive Care Clinical Manager is an experienced RN with in-depth knowledge and understanding of providing nursing care to a population of neonates and newborns in the inpatient setting.
MAJOR JOB OBJECTIVES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Establishes, monitors, and maintains clinical standard of care for selected population of patients.
· Acts as a role model by participating in the delivery of care.
· Functions as clinical resource to staff, patients, and medical staff.
· Assures quality assurance program is developed and documented via: staff meetings, resolution of patient complaints, employee performance evaluations, chart audits, ensuring standards of care are met, ensures in-house certification of staff as required, and development, review and revision of policies and procedures.
· Clinically knowledgeable in area of service.
· Encourage staff participation in development and maintenance of standards of practice and policies and procedures.
· Encourages autonomous patient care decision making by staff nurses.
· Interprets nursing practice standards to the medical staff.
· Encourages participation in nursing council structure to stimulate.
Assures patient care standards are met on a 24 hour basis.
· Establishes patient care standards on specific unit(s) in collaboration with staff.
· Anticipates and provides for staffing needs in a safe and cost-effective manner.
· Develops and monitors unit level quality assurance program.
· Continually monitors patient care standards as outlined by the quality assurance plan. Analyzes data, identifies needed improvements, and implements plan to improve care.
· Provides a response in a timely manner (with 48 hours of awareness) to all unusual occurrences.
· Consults with medical staff to determine need for policy/procedure change development.
· Demonstrates awareness of state and federal regulations pertinent to patient care/safety and interprets them to staff.
· Assists nursing staff in the delivery of patient care as necessary.
Maintains unit operations within budgetary constraints and established standards of service.
· Develops daily staffing guidelines which meet established hours of care.
· Translates guidelines into a usable tool for staff education regarding hours of care.
· Maintains budget on a monthly basis to demonstrate +/- 3% variance on year-to-date basis.
· Participates actively in the development of annual budget for specified department(s).
· Collaborates with Director on a monthly basis to assure accurate position controls.
· Monitors supply usage to meet budgetary commitments.
· A monitor overtime, identifies trends and initiates actions as necessary.
· Ensures unit schedules provide appropriate staffing on a shift by shift basis and appropriate alternatives, i.e., per diem registry, supplemental, etc., are utilized.
Supports unit and hospital based education program.
· Evaluates requests for EDL based on educational needs of the employee.
· Provides staffing coverage for ED days when possible.
· Ensures staff attendance at all mandatory hospital programs.
· Develops annual unit level goals and objectives with staff participation:
§ Goals and objectives are posted in unit manual
§ Discussion of goals and objectives at staff meetings is documented in minutes.
§ Evaluates goals for effectiveness.
· Collaborates with Nursing Education in assessing staff learning needs and providing opportunities for staff development
Fosters collaborative relationships with medical staff.
· Provides timely response/resolution to problems identified by the Medical Staff.
· Ensures accessibility to Medical Staff by being available on unit during AM rounds.
Participates in development and implementation of marketing strategies.
· In conjunction with the Director, facilitates program development for specified unit.
· Coordinates all marketing plans through the Director and the Marketing Department.
Personnel & operational responsibilities.
· Responsible for personnel, fiscal and material management and coordination of the quality improvement program for the ER
· The ER manager shall have direct responsibility to the administrative director of nursing or an individual holding an equivalent position.
· The ER Manager will be responsible for the direct supervision of all clinical personnel who provide care and the day to day coordination and quality of clinical nursing care of patients in the ER.
Attends all required safety training programs and can describe his or her responsibilities related to general safety, department/service safety, and specific job-related hazards.
· Attends all required safety education programs.
· Provides complete and accurate responses to safety questions.
· Operates assigned equipment and performs all procedures in a safe manner as instructed.
· Maintains work area and equipment in condition required by department standards.
· Demonstrates proper body mechanics in all functions.
Follows the hospital exposure control plans/bloodborne and airborne pathogens.
· Demonstrates knowledge of techniques, procedures, and correct use of protective barrier equipment. Expects the same of other team members.
· Ensures a safe environment by instituting appropriate control measures.
Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
· Fosters a professional working environment by assuming a leadership role (not supervisory) for all staff.
· Functions as a departmental role model.
· Interacts with all of the above in a considerate, helpful, and courteous manner as observed by manager and peers.
· Fosters mature professional relationships with fellow employees in a courteous, friendly manner as measured by management observation and peer input.
· Maintains professional composure and confidence during stressful situations.
· Maintains open communication using appropriate chain of command regarding issues.
· Conducts all work activities with respect for rights and wishes of patients, visitors, families, and fellow employees.
· Maintains confidentiality of all hospital and patient information at all times as observed by peers and management.
· Presents a neat and professional appearance in proper attire with identification badge visible at all times as required by department, and administrative policy.
· Continuously displays a "can do" attitude within the department and across departmental lines to contribute to the overall customer service and satisfaction program.
Promotes effective working relations and works effectively as part of a department/unit team inter- and interdepartmentally to facilitate the department's/unit's ability to meet its goals and objectives.
· Actively participates in department meetings.
· Supports the hospital's mission, policies, and procedures through attendance and participation during committee meetings, where applicable.
· Acts as a professional role model, both clinically and administratively.
· Effectively and confidentially communicates in all professional situations.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
· Requires BSN
· Current registration as RN in State (CA)
· CCRN preferred
· Master's degree in Nursing or be a RN holding a BSN and either a Master's degree in a related field or certification in nursing or health care administration from a nationally recognized accrediting organization
· 3 years clinical experience with at least one year has been in a facility with an NICU that is equivalent to a Regional or Community NICU
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
· Demonstrated leadership ability which includes effective communication and problem solving skills
· Ability to deal well with people; excellent conflict resolution skills
· Ability to motivate others
· Ability to direct the activities of others
· Knowledge of state and federal regulations; knowledge of California Nurse Practice Act