Under the supervision of the designated supervisor, this position exists to facilitate patient flow from point of entry to destination in a timely, accurate, courteous and professional manner. As a float, this position has no definitive work location; the work location will be determined based on need. Work schedule and location will be communicated by the supervisor or Practice Administrator. Work assignment notice can vary from weeks in advance to the morning of the assignment. This position requires flexible hours to accommodate the needs of the various work locations. The incumbent will obtain specific information to generate an accurate financial and demographic record for our patients that will ensure maximum reimbursement and clinical outcomes. This position schedules appointments, interviews patients for appropriate medical information, explains charges and policies of the department and the organization, validates and enters charges into appropriate computer systems, and collects necessary payment. Answers incoming telephone calls and directs patients and visitors appropriately.
- Requires ability to use a personal computer; knowledge of various software; and skilled data entry skills.
- Requires practiced typing ability.
- Requires ability to learn and retain medical coding.
- ICD-9; CPT coding experience preferred.
- Prefer medical/insurance experience.
- Requires ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize work.
- Requires ability to work independently; handle detail and work well under pressure.
- Requires ability to interpret insurance information; knowledge of clinical practices and medical terminology preferred.
- Requires ability to learn regulatory requirements.
- Requires ability to effectively interact with a widely diverse population of patients; visitors and staff.
- Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Requires excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Requires ability to make decisions; problem solve; and to provide sound judgment.