Columbia Cottage in Mountain Brook is seeking a part-time cook to prepare meals for our wonderful Residents. If you enjoy cooking for crowds and are seeking part-time work, apply today!
Food Service Preparation :
* Follows food production schedules.
* Estimates food requirements and controls serving portions, eliminates waste and leftovers.
* Prepares all food efficiently and in sufficient quantities in compliance with Cottage policy and in accordance to State standards.
* Prepares and wraps meat for freezing.
Food Service Compliance:
* Makes regular inspections to ensure compliance with established policies and procedures including State standards.
* Ensures the quality of meals and ensures food service is in accordance with Cottage policy and State regulations.
* Ensures proper storage of food and other supplies in accordance with Cottage policy and State regulations.
* Ensures proper cleaning and cleanliness of all work areas and maintenance of equipment in the food service department and completes the proper maintenance and housekeeping requisitions of this service.
* Assist in the food service production to ensure proper techniques and procedures are being observed in accordance with Cottage policy and State regulations.
* Performs cleaning functions in accordance with Cottage policy and State regulations.
* Reviews all expenditures, establishes priorities, and make recommendations for changes.
* Does not deviate from, or make substitutions to, menus and recipes included in the Cottage Recipes and Menus Manual without the prior approval from the Managing Director.
Assists with Personnel Management:
* Supervise food service staff (Homemakers, Resident Service Coordinators) directly.
* Organizes, directs, and supervises all subordinate functions including food prep, cleaning, meal serving, ordering, kitchen organization, etc.
* Coordinates activities of the food service department with other departments.
* Ensures proper training on all food service staff and conducts in-service meetings and training programs for food service personnel.
* Ensure proper sanitation, hygiene, and health standards of personnel.
* Assist in Dining Room serving as needed.
Assists with Procurement and Inventory Control:
* Interviews salesman regarding food service supplies, raw food, and equipment.
* Consults with Managing Director on vendors and suppliers.
* Purchases or directs the purchase of food service supplies, raw food, and equipment, and authorizes payment of invoices associated with department.
* Maintains adequate department records, for food service statistics, costs, and inventory control.
* Interprets the budgetary guidelines to departmental staff and maintains control over expenditures.
* Works within the current budgetary guidelines, prepares recommendations for ensuing budget year.
* Attends meetings with staff and Residents as needed.
* Continues professional growth through current literature, memberships in professional organizations, attendance at workshops and institutes.
* Has full understanding of door alarm system, fire, safety, and emergency procedures.
* Submits in writing to the Managing Director any proposed changes to the menus and recipes included in the Cottage Recipes and Menus Manual.
* Receives replacement pages from the Managing Director for Cottage Recipes and Menus Manual before implementing proposed changes to menus and recipes.
* Performs all work or assigns work and is responsible for satisfactory completion of work scheduled in the Food Service Director/Coordinator Checklist.
* Performs work on and fills out position checklist, provides department position checklist to Managing Director.
Position Specific Competencies:
* Ability to cook home-style meals for large groups of people
* Ability to write, read and follow recipes
* Excellent organizational skills.
* Good mental and physical health, grooming, appropriate.
* Must have thorough knowledge of food service management.
* Must have sound knowledge of principles of cost accounting, record keeping, and budget planning and purchasing procedures.
* Must have ability to supervise and secure cooperative personnel.
* Basic computing skills including the use of Internet, MS Word and MS Excel.
* Must be able to lift 75 pounds unassisted and 125 pounds per person in a two-person lift.
* Must demonstrate proper body mechanics as required to lift or assist in a lift.
Job Requirements/Qualifications :
* High school graduate or equivalent.
* Three years’ experience in supervisory position in food preparation and service.
* Minimum three years’ experience in cooking.
* Must have ability to supervise others and continue to be trained on the job in food preparation, cooking, estimating quantities and other service duties.
* Will be regular in attendance, with the right attitude and attire.
We are a drug-free workplace. We do perform criminal background checks and substance abuse testing.