Directly responsible for the Activities Department. Required to maintain and support the Activity Program’s mission, philosophy, Alden policies and procedures and state and federal regulations. Achieves and maintains the highest quality of life for each resident, with understanding of all psychosocial, medical, and activity needs/preferences.
* Hold a high school education or equivalent.
* Three years of experience in group and individual activity programming.
* Must be able to read, write and speak English.
* Have experience and qualified marketing skills to effectively express the Alden’s Activity Program to the community, other health professionals, outside professional organizations, senior services, government agencies, and any other provider or professional in the community.
* Knowledgeable activity programming with the ability to effectively communicate these disease processes to managers, direct care staff, families, etc.
* Preferred associates or a bachelor’s degree, or education in Recreational Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Education, Social Services or equivalent.
* If the candidate does not have a CTRS, OTR/L, LSW or LCSW, then you must be able to complete the 36 Hour Basic Activity course (with requirements to be registered within 90 days of employment and completion by 180 days of employment).
* Must have a valid driver’s license.
* Must have the sincere desire to work with a variety of populations that require long-term or short-term care.
* Possess a knowledge and ability to apply that knowledge to deal effectively with this population.
* Possess the ability to guide and direct staff in therapeutic approaches effective with the dementia and behavioral population on an-ongoing basis, if applicable.
* Possess the ability to make independent decisions in the best interest of residents, staff and families.
* Possess the qualities of empathy, compassion, understanding, enthusiasm, and humor in order to effectively interact with residents, families, and staff.
* Willingness to be flexible regarding work hours in order to ensure quality of care.
* Understand and be able to manage emotional needs of yourself, and your staff.
* Must be able to push, pull or carry 50 pounds.
* Must be able to move intermittently throughout the work day.
* Must function independently, have flexibility, personal integrity, and the ability to work effectively with the residents, family members, personnel and support.
* Establish and monitor achievement of facility and program goals through a team approach.
* Develop and maintain a therapeutic person centered activity program which constantly strives to enhance the quality of life of each resident and meet the Activity Mission and Philosophy.
* Maintain all Activity Policies and Procedures and State and Federal regulations.
* Conduct, oversee, and complete initial and all on-going assessments and MDS, CAAs and care planning initiatives, including but not limited to social, medical, cognitive, communication abilities, and spiritual needs, physical, neuro-psychological, and behavioral, amongst others as it relates to individual activity/leisure.
* Complete all required documentation.
Perform other related duties as assigned.