This position is responsible for providing care to patients acting as an assistant to the physicians in the clinic following established standards and practices.
The delivery of professional nursing care at Stormont-Vail HealthCare is guided by Jean Watson’s Theory of Human Caring and the theory of Shared governance, both of which are congruent with the mission, vision, and values of the organization. Watson’s Caring Theory ensures the development of therapeutic relationships and involves human beings and their spirit in every aspect of care delivery, and is demonstrated through the implementation of ten (10) carative behaviors:
providing information to allow informed decisions
calling the patient by name
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Obtain complete medical history and physical data on patients.
- Interpret and integrate data to determine appropriate diagnostic and therapeutic procedures as needed.
- Perform a complete physical exam and record findings. Collaboration with physicians in managing acute and long term medical needs of patients.
- Order appropriate laboratory diagnostic procedures.
- Synthesize data to determine preliminary diagnostic and therapeutic plan utilizing principles of prevention.
- Administer medications and injections according to physician direction. Suture minor lacerations.
- Interview and advise patients regarding health and illness prevention. Recommend community resources to meet patients and family needs.
- Instruct patients and family regarding medications and treatment instructions. Provide patient education.
- Maintain and review patient records, charts, and other pertinent information. Post tests and examination results.
- Triage patient telephone calls and provide consultation.
- Manage medical emergencies.
- Provide monitoring and continuity of care between physician visits.
- Involvement in community activities.
- Continue to be involved in professional organizations and show process towards individual development.
- Maintain patient confidentiality.
- Perform related work as required.
- Constantly contribute to a high level of customer satisfaction and process improvement.
- Effectively use laboratory equipment in the clinic and know procedures for sending laboratory tests to a reference lab.
- Position and transfer patients to produce a radiograph.
- Ensures that care delivered to patients is provided according to the Stormont-Vail HealthCare mission, strategic plans, and all internal/external regulations, policies and procedures. Practices within the Kansas Nurse Practice Act and within the guidelines of management protocols. Supports the established care models of Stormont Vail Regional Health Center.
- Has prescriptive authority per Kansas Nurse Practice Act and SVHC protocols.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be a graduate of an accredited PA/APRN program. Meets educational preparation or other qualifications within specified time frames as determined/outlined by specific department policy.
Certificates and Licenses:
Current RN/PA/APRN licensure in State of Kansas.
Be certified as a nurse practitioner by a recognized national certifying body that has established standards for nurse practitioners.
Additional certification may be required in certain patient care settings or populations. The department director will provide specific information and the time frame in which such certification may be attained at the time of hire/transfer into department.