MISSION STATEMENT: AHS, a taxable member of Eastern Maine Healthcare, identifies and develops new healthcare business opportunities complementing the overall objectives of EMH. AHS both provides high quality services that strengthen the resources of EMH member organizations and creates net income as the vendor of choice to external markets.
This position requires flexibility, regular attendance, the understanding that position responsibilities may vary at times, the need to be receptive to additional responsibilities that may be reasonably assigned by the Supervisor and the knowledge that process are subject to change per organizational growth.
Reports Directly to: Phlebotomy Supervisor
Educational / Licensing Requirements:
· High School degree required.
· Previous experience in specimen handling preferred.
· Phlebotomy experience desirable
· Associate's degree in Medical Assisting or comparable field desirable.
· Must have a valid Maine Driver's License.
· Must be insurable by the employer's insurance carrier
Minimum Experience Required:
· Maintains harmonious work relationships
· Complies with policies / procedures
· Completes assigned duties within designated time
· Provides quality customer service
· Ability to communicate clearly and courteously with patients, clients, and co-workers, by telephone or in person. Deals with problems in a calm, professional manner.
· A busy, often times dynamic work environment. Must be able to work under pressure and work closely with co-workers. May be exposed to hazardous and infectious materials and offensive odors.
· Color vision; manual dexterity; visual acuity; ability to verbally communicate; possess sufficient auditory function to hear phones, pages, instrument and system alarms; moderate lifting, walking, standing, sitting, bending, reaching, and twisting.
To help AHS achieve its mission of service by carrying out position responsibilities in a most competent, professional and caring manner.
Participates in competency assessment/continuing education activities.
* Completes mandatory training, reads all required policy/procedure books yearly.
* Performs competency testing as administered; receives satisfactory rating.
* Attains a minimum of 8 CE's annually; in 2 of the 4 Continuing Education categories.
* Participates in QI activities--collects data, identifies issues, and participates in resolutions.
Procurement of specimens from all age groups including advanced procedures.
* Able to perform specimen procurement (blood draws) accurately.
* Always identifies patient and labels specimen according to established protocols.
* Observes established safety procedures and demonstrates universal precautions.
* Follows Federal Guidelines regarding breath and urine drug screen collections.
* Demonstrate competence in all specimen procurement areas.
* Requires travel to area facilities for specimen procurement of patients/residents.
Displays complete knowledge of amounts and types of blood and urine samples to collect and the conditions and circumstances for collection.
* Follows procedure for identifying specimen completing paperwork, and transporting to Client Service Department (State Street) to assure specimen integrity.
* Uses resources to verify type and quantity of specimen if the request is known.
Participates in special Phlebotomy functions/projects.
· Volunteers for projects.
· Acts as a resource for less senior staff
· Flexible in accepting new assignments or duties.