This position has access to and knowledge of extremely sensitive, private and confidential materials. Ability to maintain the highest standard is required with zero tolerance.
All the primary duties within this document will be performed according to established policies, procedures and guidelines within the department and the Medical Center.
The Patient Personal Care Assistant/Sitter works under the direction of the Nurse Manager and under the direct supervision of the Professional Registered Nurse or delegated Licensed Practical Nurse as a Nurse Aide I (NA I) or Psych Tech, to observe a patient for harmful and/or dangerous behaviors. This position is an important component of the continuum of care as is provided to maintain the safety and protect the well-being of patients at-risk for injury. The observation and care activities are individualized for each patient at the direction the medical staff. The Patient Personal Care Assistant/ Sitter is also responsible for completing a variety of departmental specific tasks to assist with optimal department safety and functioning.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES:
1. The Patient Personal Care Assistant/Sitter works under the direction of the Professional Registered Nurse or delegated Licensed Practical Nurse Aide I (NA I) to observe patient behavior and maintain patient safety.
2. Maintains an uninterrupted line of sight with the patient and will be required to assist the patient in completion of daily personal care.
3. Reports any and all activity outside of established parameters to the Nurse Manager, Professional Registered Nurse, or delegated Licensed Practical Nurse.
4. Under the direction of the Nurse Manager, Professional registered Nurse, or delegated Licensed Practical Nurse, competently performs a variety of basic activities within the NA I scope of practice to meet the daily personal needs and comfort of assigned patient.
5. Under the direction of the Nurse Manager, Professional registered Nurse, or delegated Licensed Practical Nurse, completes a variety of department specific tasks within the NA I scope of practice to assist with department safety and functioning.
6. Appropriately communicates information in accordance with hospital policies and procedures.
7. Maintains and adjusts schedule to enhance team performance.
8. Continues personal development to enhance personal growth on an annual basis.
9. Demonstrates standard of performance (ownership, teamwork communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB SPECIFICATIONS:
1. Education: High School Diploma or equivalent.
2. Licensure / Certifications: Psychiatric Technician or NA I registered with the NC Division of Facility Services, AHA BLS Certification: Some departments have additional advanced CPR requirements as listed on staff annual education record.
3. Experience: 1 year preferred as an NA or a Nursing Student with credentials as stated in # 2 . NAs with no experience will be considered.