: Certified Pharmacy Technician III
: Full-Time, Days
This position will be located in our Red Bank office, 4460 Red Bank Road, Cincinnati, Ohio 45227.
: The Pharmacy Technician III provides support to pharmacists, clinical specialist, and managers in all aspects of providing pharmacy services. It is the Technician III that helps identify and improve pharmacy operations and serves as a leader in their area of expertise. The Technician III participates in quality improvement initiatives within the department. The Technician III has a history of qualitative consistency and productivity in multiple core areas and works with minimal supervision and guidance.
The Certified Pharmacy Technician III may perform the following duties:
- Under the direct supervision of a registered pharmacist, prepares medications according to prescription or physician order.
- Includes the following activities:
- Unit Dose: Includes filling, packaging, distributing, labeling and scanning medications. Weighs, measures and mixes ingredients, emulsions, liquids, powders, and ointments using proper equipment and technique. Ability to sign in, load and refill automated dispensing machines. Basic inventory of CII safe. Perform routine functions as well as trouble shooting on automated dispensing equipment. Ability to print and compare reports in CII safe.
- IV room-Using aseptic technique prepares and labels intravenous admixtures and other sterile products. Fills syringes and reconstitutes small volume injectable pharmaceuticals for subsequent check and dispensing by a pharmacist.
- *limited to staff that are trained in Outpatient RX area- Selects prescription items for customers. Rings the register and completes the Ohio State Board requirements with each sale.
- In addition, Technician III must be trained in at least one specialty area or receive and maintain an IV Sterile Compounding Certification.
- OR; Able to perform daily activities in the OR pharmacy. Activities include preparation and control of narcotic kits, preparation of antibiotics, irrigations and ophthalmic preps, and maintaining proper inventory.
- Oncology; Able to perform daily activities in the Oncology Department. Activities include preparation and restocking of chemotherapeutic agents. Understands and complies with reconstitution standards.
- Compounding of specialty items (Batching of syringes/ TPN) : Able to enter the orders and operate the Baxa compounder. Verifies all orders and issues with pharmacist
- Assistant Buyer: Able to place order for medications thru wholesaler. Knowledge of inventory and needs of department. Aware of items that are special ordered. Ordering of narcotics.
- Drug Diversion Tech- Reviewing unreconciled reports, reviewing discrepancies in pyxis and RX Auditor reports.
- Uses technology in the department.
- This includes the following:
- Patient information lookup in Epic
- In-Basket RX messages in Epic for unit dose medications
- Compounding Repackaging in Epic
- Printing of labels in Epic and wasplabeler DP tracker
- Delivery: Includes the transportation of medications from the pharmacy to areas outside the pharmacy. This includes medication cart delivery, IV run and unit dose run. Runs delivered at the correct “run time”, and delivered to the correct area, refrigerator vs cart.
- Assists the Pharmacist in daily activities.
- Answers telephone, receiving and relaying messages as needed.
- Assists in the orientation, teaching and guidance of other pharmacy supportive personnel. Shows leadership.
- Assist in projects.
- Shows initiative for quality improvement
- Re-orders drugs and supplies when stock is low or predetermined stock level indicated. Rotates stock, checks expiration dates and cleans assigned area.
- Performs as a receptionist at the RX window. Distributing medications and orders for the correct department and patient. Fills out appropriate paperwork for distribution of medications, RX pads, and RX computer paper. Answers and directs phone calls and assists with any issues.
- Maintains a safe environment according to policy and procedure.
- Maintains the department in a neat, clean and orderly manner.
- Follows departmental and hospital safety policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary by the Director of Pharmacy, Assistant Director, Pharmacy Managers, and Pharmacists.
: High School Diploma or GED
License & Certification
- The person has passed an examination approved by the Ohio State Board of Pharmacy, PTCB/ CPhT.
- Person must register as Technician in Training with Ohio State Board of Pharmacy, if not currently registered with the Ohio State Board of Pharmacy. Upon completion of training period the person must complete registration as Certified Technician with the Ohio State Board of Pharmacy. The person must keep active certification with the Ohio State Board of Pharmacy.
: At least three years of Hospital Pharmacy experience.
Required Skills & Knowledge
There are many ways to define excellence. For us at The Christ Hospital, it’s all about our patients...And making healthcare what they want it to be. Accessible. Personal. Affordable.
Our commitment to exceptional outcomes, affordable care and the finest patient experiences is recognized yearly with numerous awards from leading healthcare organizations and publications. At the top of our list of honors are the 17 consecutive years that we’ve been named to U.S. News & World Report’s list of Best Hospitals and being named the Most Preferred Hospital by the Greater Cincinnati community for 21 consecutive years (National Research Corporation).
What does this mean for you?
GROWTH- opportunities to learn, develop, and impact.
VALUE - a robust employee package that provides you the ability to maintain a healthy work-life balance, competitive compensation, flexible and meaningful benefits, development opportunities so you can be your best self, and a culture of compassion.
PRIDE- from all that we have accomplished in our past, and all that we’re positioned for in the future.
CHALLENGE- we are in one of the most competitive markets in the nation, yet continue to rise to the top through our incredible employees and transformational results. We seek individuals motivated by what it takes to be a part of a winning team.
Named #24 on Forbes 500 America’s Best Employers for 2017, we are transforming care…inspired by you.
- Must meet all minimum qualifications for a Technician II:
- Performance appraisals documenting the following:
- A work history of qualitative consistency, productivity and appropriate interdependence.
- A work history of initiative, motivation, and flexibility
- A work history of above average quality, quantity, and knowledge of work
- A work history of above average attendance and reliability