Responsible for the day-to-day management of the Cardiac Cath Lab / Interventional Radiology Lab (660500) and Hybrid OR (660482) to include interaction with medical staff, hospital staff, patients and patient families. The Labs provide services to inpatients and outpatients in a hospital setting. The Cath Lab Charge RN works with the Cath Lab Director (CLD) to develop and maintain the delivery of services in support of the strategic goals of SVHC and the Cardiovascular Service Line. Responsibilities include quality monitoring, staff training, competency assessment and performance evaluation.
The delivery of professional nursing care at Stormont-Vail HealthCare is guided by Jean Watson’s Theory of Human Caring and the theory of Shared governance, both of which are congruent with the mission, vision, and values of the organization. Watson’s Caring Theory ensures the development of therapeutic relationships and involves human beings and their spirit in every aspect of care delivery, and is demonstrated through the implementation of ten (10) carative behaviors:
providing information to allow informed decisions
calling the patient by name
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provides a positive image to customers by creating a friendly atmosphere and placing a high priority on meeting customer needs in a courteous manner. Requires the same level of commitment from staff.
- Maintains professional appearance and presentation to include self, team and work areas.
- Works with CLD and MD to insure that the scope of services and quality of studies meet the needs of customers and that procedural documentation is clear and comprehensive.
- Monitors performance in areas of responsibility, addresses problem issues, utilizes performance improvement process.
- Takes pride in own work and sets an example for staff by being thorough, accurate and timely with assignments.
- Is knowledgeable of all equipment and procedures in the departments.
- Is supportive of the mission, vision and goals of SVHC and the CVSL in attitude and action.
- Conducts regular team meetings and updates CLD with written minutes.
- Meets monthly with CLD, CVOPC charge nurse, EP Lab RN Supervisor to facilitate communication between departments and Administration.
- Interacts with other team members in a way that promotes a positive work environment, acts as a staff advocate
- Monitors employee mandatory in-service, licensure/certification and enforces applicable policies related to completion and delinquency.
- Works with POCT coordinator, CLD, MD and designated team members to assure continued accreditation by CAP and JCAHO.
- Interviews candidates for employment and makes recommendations to CLD.
- Works with CLD and Human Resources Department in carrying out employee disciplinary process.
- Develops and implements new departmental policies and maintains compliance with GSS
- Completes annual update of manuals, job descriptions and competency checklists.
- Completes annual performance review for final review by CLD.
- Manages team resources to insure there is adequate coverage for clinical practice and to accomplish department tasks.
- Manages staff requests for PTO
- Completes department schedule, monitors attendance and maintains attendance-tracking record.
- Ability to perform Cath Lab and IR procedures as needed to ensure patient flow is maintained.
- On Call responsibilities required for the first vacant position for Cath Lab call and then subsequent call vacancies will route to the Cath Lab team in the event more than one vacancy occurs within a specific timeframe. IR and Hybrid OR call vacancies will be assigned to the Charge Nurse at the Directors discretion.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the Kansas State Nurse Practice Act and follows the statutes and regulations therein.
- Demonstrates appropriate delegation of tasks and duties in the direction and coordination of health care team members, patient care and department activities in accordance with the Kansas State Nurse Practice Act.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Graduate of an accredited school of nursing, BSN preferred. Meets educational preparation or other qualifications within specified time frames as determined/outlined by specific department policy.
- Minimum of two years experience in a related clinical field required
- Must possess excellent inter-personal skills; healthcare management experience preferred.
Directly reports to the Director, Cath Lab
Directly supervises approximately 22 employees
Special Procedures Technologists
Patient Care Technicians
The charge nurse functions primarily in a supervisory role and assumes role/responsibilities for directing and overseeing the care team. As identified in the Kansas State Nurse Practice Act and Joint Commission regulations, RNs have as their underlying role/responsibilities: coordination of patient care activities, delegation of specified care team members, supervision of team members and evaluation of patient response to care provided. In addition to supervisory responsibilities, the Charge Nurse is responsible for all specific functions of the Registered Nurse. These include:
- Validates the admission process carried out by the team
- Selects and initiates the standards of care upon admission
- Documents variances of processes and outcomes.
- Implements discharge planning rounds and discharge instructions
- Participates in patient care conferences
- Individualizes standards of care
- Updates the interdisciplinary plan of care on a 24-hour basis
- Performs end of shift reports
- Communicates/interacts with physicians and support staff daily
- Participates in aggregate variance analysis and facilitates improvement in relation to findings
Certificates and Licenses:
Current RN licensure in the State of Kansas.
Must be ACLS certified or obtain certification within orientation period.