SUMMARY OF THE JOB
The cardiac rehab exercise specialist performs a variety of clinical and technical tasks to create and maintain an optimal environment for the testing, training, and education of cardiac patients. They will serve as an advocate/coach to work with individuals who have or are at risk for Cardiovascular Disease. He/she will use evidence-based practice when providing direct patient care.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs all functions of the monitoring or floor personnel during exercise sessions. Documents all pertinent information and relays to appropriate physician under the supervision of the RN.
- Identifies and counsels patients on individual risk factors. Communicates results of evaluations and patient progress to patient, physician and director. Makes appropriate referrals for additional counseling.
- Writes or modifies exercise prescriptions under the supervision of the Medical Director.
- Schedules patients for entry into cardiac rehab.
- Maintains documentation and statistics for client’s including participation, counseling, activities, referrals, and ancillary activities.
- Ensures that education materials are timely, accurate and consistent with current guidelines established by national organizations, such as the American Heart Association, American Cancer Society, American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation and American College of Sports Medicine.
- Assures equipment in the cardiac rehab is maintained in a safe manner.
- Plans and implements wellness education and intervention. Demonstrates knowledge of growth and development to provide client education appropriate to the age of the individuals served.
- Plans, coordinates, and participates in health risk assessment process for clients.
- Teaches lecture classes as assigned. Assist with Heart Hospital sponsored community education events held throughout the year. These events include, but are not limited to, community health fairs, community education classes, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
A minimum of a Bachelor degree in an exercise related field such as exercise science, exercise physiology, or sports medicine required. Work experience in a health-related field preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Healthcare Provider CPR required.
BLS CPR Instructor desirable
ACE or ACSM desirable