Patient Care Assistant
*Paid training available for those who are not State Nurse Aide Registry (STNA) certified or have not completed a medical-surgical nursing clinical. One (1) year work commitment required.*
This position will be scheduled approximately 36 hours per week in the Cardiovascular Pulmonary Unit at The Christ Hospital Health Network (TCHHN) located at 2139 Auburn Ave. Cincinnati Ohio 45219.
The Cardio-Pulmonary Step-down Unit is a 38-bed unit specializing in the care of patients with acute MI, cardiac arrhythmias, syncope, device implants, cardiomyopathy, CHF, ablation and PTA. This unit also cares for the long-term ventilator-dependent patient with minimal weaning activity (for which training is available). Offers medical services to all types of patients requiring cardiac monitoring, including: cardiology, renal, endocrinology, general medicine and oncology. In addition, multiple medications are titrated in this unit.
Job Overview: The Patient Care Assistant (PCA) performs duties to enhance patient experience while maintaining patient comfort and a safe patient environment. All care is provided based on the concepts inherent in the model of care for TCHHN which promotes an on-going partnership between patients and families and the team of healthcare providers. The care is culturally based and age-specific. All direct patient care is under the supervision of and is delegated by the Registered Nurse according to the guidelines as set out by the Ohio Board of Nursing.
The Patient Care Assistant may perform the following duties:
- Provide comfort and personal hygiene for patients, documenting according to policy.
- Orient patients & family to the hospital environment & services provided; facilitate communication throughout the entire hospitalization.
- Provide and promote individual patient and unit safety
- Perform aspects of clinical care as assigned and instructed by the RN per Ohio Board of Nursing guidelines for delegation.
- Demonstrate leadership skills such as the ability to motivate, educate and mentor peers while effectively providing care for patients and family members.
- Demonstrate the knowledge, ability and skill to provide age and culturally specific patient care and education.
- High School graduate or GED.
- 40 hours of Acute Med-Surg training; Specialty Training, and Hospital Specific Training.
- One of the following criteria must be documented:
- Successful completion and passing test score of a state sponsored Medicaid Nurse Aide Training and Competency Evaluation Program. Must have upon hire or must receive a passing test score within six (6) months of course completion.
- A nursing student who has successfully completed one medical-surgical rotation or another acute care experience.
- Prior training or experience as evaluated by manager, staff development educator and Human Resources.
Experience: Hospital PCA experience preferred.
There are many ways to define excellence. For us at The Christ Hospital, it’s all about our patients...And making healthcare what they want it to be. Accessible. Personal. Affordable.
Our commitment to exceptional outcomes, affordable care and the finest patient experiences is recognized yearly with numerous awards from leading healthcare organizations and publications. At the top of our list of honors are the 17 consecutive years that we’ve been named to U.S. News & World Report’s list of Best Hospitals and being named the Most Preferred Hospital by the Greater Cincinnati community for 21 consecutive years (National Research Corporation).
What does this mean for you?
GROWTH- opportunities to learn, develop, and impact.
VALUE - a robust employee package that provides you the ability to maintain a healthy work-life balance, competitive compensation, flexible and meaningful benefits, development opportunities so you can be your best self, and a culture of compassion.
PRIDE- from all that we have accomplished in our past, and all that we’re positioned for in the future.
CHALLENGE- we are in one of the most competitive markets in the nation, yet continue to rise to the top through our incredible employees and transformational results. We seek individuals motivated by what it takes to be a part of a winning team.
Named #24 on Forbes 500 America’s Best Employers for 2017, we are transforming care…inspired by you.