The Line Cook is responsible for preparing food in accordance with the approved menu, current standards, guidelines, and regulations to assure that quality food service is provided at all times, in accordance with property policies and procedures.
* Prepare and cook all food items and meals in accordance with planned menus and recipes ensuring all meals and food prepared are of high quality, palatable and appetizing. Assist in food preparation for special meals, parties, events, etc.
* Prepare soups, appetizers, entrees, vegetables, side dishes, and desserts for both the regular and special diets for the residents, as well as the meals served to the staff and all special events requiring food service.
* Prepare and serve substitute foods to residents who refuse foods served. Make only authorized food substitutions and consult with and advise Dining Services Director or Sous Chef on menu changes.
* Prepare food and serve in accordance with sanitary regulations, as well as with established policies and procedures. Report any incidents or infractions to Sous Chef or Dining Services Director.
* Inspect special diet requests and orders to assure that the correct diet is being served.
* Plan the timing of food production to coordinate with meal serving hours so that quality, temperature, and appearance of food are preserved.
* Maintain control over meal portions and food consistency. Estimate food requirements and controls serving portions thereby eliminating waste and leftovers.
* Ensure that the next day’s items are in stock and pulled and thawing under refrigeration as dictated by the menus.
* Open or close kitchen as dictated by department scheduling. Ensure co-workers arrive in a timely manner and notify the supervisor or Manager on Duty of any staff call offs, tardiness, or absences.
* Assist, when requested, in the purchasing, inventory, checking in and storing of food and supplies. Ensure that stock levels of staple/non-staple food, supplies, equipment, etc., are organized and maintained at adequate levels at all times. Work closely with the Sous Chef and Dining Services Director in specifying and selecting food products.
* Ensure that food storage areas are clean and properly organized/arranged at all times. Responsible for all cleaning items assigned and/or posted on daily/weekly checklist and those assigned by the Sous Chef or Dining Services Director.
* Ensure a sanitary work environment and conform to all local codes and policies regarding proper storage, handling and serving of food.
* Dispose of food and waste in accordance with established policies.
* Responsible for the labeling, dating, safely storing, and efficient use of all items within the kitchen’s inventory.
* Record temperatures of coolers and freezers as required by company policy.
SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, ETC:
* Able to operate standard office equipment, including fax machine, copier, telephone, etc.
* Knowledge of and/or ability to learn the theory and practice of assisted living and dementia care
* Able to work with seniors and patiently interact with cognitively impaired individuals
* Able to be flexible, adapt and respond to change, make decisions in stressful situations and prioritize tasks and projects.
* Able to process information and apply common sense understanding to follow and carry out written or oral instructions.
* Able to analyze, solve and respond to problems or concerns.
* Able to count and perform moderately complex math problems
* Able to read, write and speak the English language and to interact and communicate effectively with employees, supervisors, physicians, health care professionals, residents, and their families
* Must be highly motivated and able to work independently
* Able to obtain and maintain valid first aid certification
* Able to obtain and maintain valid Food Handler’s certification
* Be mobile and able to perform the physical requirements of the job. Good physical health, verified by a health screening, including a chest x-ray or an intradermal test result not more than 6 months prior or seven (7) days after employment