I. Basic Purpose:
Main responsibility is self-pay and/or professional physician follow-up collection of the hospital and/or professional physician receivables. Provides satisfactory explanations for problems and questions in a courteous and professional manner. Performs a variety of support services for the business office, admitting, county, state, federal, insurance companies, attorneys and medical staff.
II. Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Complies with established corporate and departmental policies, procedures, objectives, quality assurance methods, and safety codes. Demonstrates compliance with licensing, regulatory and accrediting agency provisions as required.
2. Consistently demonstrates appropriate and professional communication behavior toward patients, customers, and coworkers. Cooperates with Management and peers to promote an environment of teamwork and collaboration.
3. Responsible for assertive but pleasant follow-up phone contact with patients or third parties to collect past due amounts, or establish payment arrangements, make referrals and verify information is complete to enable outside sources to process payment for services rendered.
4. Works incoming correspondences to completion
5. Coordinates and performs various follow-up review and support services for business office, admitting, Trinity, Risk Management, county, state, federal, insurance companies and medical staff to secure collection of hospital receivables.
6. Maintains a high performance level in processing accounts for appropriate assistance programs, legal action or transfer to bad debt status.
7. Identifies various insurance reimbursement plans, financial programs and provide satisfactory explanations to callers.
8. Maintains free care file on optical disk.
9. Maintains annual mandatory education requirements specific to position as mandated by Martin Health System.
10. Performs all other duties as assigned or requested.
III. Minimum Requirements (experience, training, and education):
To effectively fulfill the requirements of this position, a candidate must be a high school graduate or equivalent. Previous experience dealing with public related to financial matters. Proficient personal and telephone communication skills in collections. Health insurance knowledge preferred. Experience in use of computer terminal, calculator and other office equipment preferred.