To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Coordinates activities of and directs training of sous chefs, cooks, and other kitchen workers engaged in preparing and cooking foods to ensure an efficient and profitable food service. Responsible for the fiscal performance of the department along budgeted guidelines. Is the champion and leader of the culinary team.
Essential Duties and responsibilities Include the following. Other duties may be assigned. Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the job.
* Plans or participates in planning menus and utilization of food and beverage, taking into account probable number of guests, marketing conditions, popularity of various dishes, and frequency of menu.
* Check food quality daily by observing food rotation, food presentation and taste.
* Estimates food consumption and purchases or requisitions foodstuffs and kitchen supplies based on weekly menu rotation.
* Reviews menus, analyzes recipes, monitors food, labor, and overhead costs.
* Directs food apportionment policy to control costs.
* Observes methods of food preparation and cooking, sizes of portions, and garnishing of foods to ensure food is prepared in prescribed manner.
* Tests cooked foods by tasting and smelling them.
* Enforces safe serving practices and proper temperature controls on all cooked food.
* Devises special dishes and develops recipes.
* Assists in the preparation and cooking of food for the kitchens, employee cafeteria and any special banquet/occasion/marketing event, which may require being able to work at any work station in the kitchen for up to four (4) hours at a time.
* Familiarizes newly hired Cooks with practices of kitchen and personally oversees training of staff.
* Performs daily payroll edits. Adjust payroll records as appropriate. Performs end of period payroll review.
* Establishes and enforces nutrition and sanitation standards for restaurant.
* Completes daily walk-through of the kitchen(s). Maintains perpetual inventory. Visually inspects daily all refrigeration, cooking, cleaning equipment for proper operation.
* Ensure food items are prepared to specifications. Assist in resolving issues if a problem of dissatisfaction arises with the level of food quality.
* Observe work environment for potential injury hazards and take appropriate preventative safety precautions.
* Actively participate in prevention, reporting, and management of Workers’ Comp claims.
* Must be fully knowledgeable of all standard cooking techniques.
* The ability to effectively deal with employees which will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to diffuse anger, collect accurate information and resolve conflicts.
* Able to read and write reports, correspondence, memos and employee performance evaluations.
* Excellent organizational skills.
* Able to read and interpret documents such as recipes, menus, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
* Able to work in a fast paced environment
* Supervises cooking and other kitchen personnel and coordinates their assignments to ensure economical and timely food production.
* Coaches and counsels kitchen employees when necessary.
* Regularly conducts kitchen staff meetings for the purpose of keeping the staff informed, providing training, and to create a positive work environment.
* Prepares weekly schedules. Costs out labor on a weekly basis to remain within budgeted guidelines.
* Attends staff meetings and coordinates with other departments to ensure smooth community operations.
* With Food Service Director/Manager, physically takes EOM inventory for month end food allowance calculations
* Responsibilities may include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
* May perform daily payroll edits. Adjust payroll records as appropriate. Perform end of period review.
* Observe work environment for potential injury hazards and take appropriate preventative safety precautions. Actively participate in prevention, reporting, and management of Workers’ Comp. Claims.
* Able to read and write reports, business correspondence, memos and staff performance evaluations.
* May manage staff schedules.
Safe Working Program
* Report any accidents, injuries or violations of company safety rules.
* Meet all training requirements within the first 30 days of employment.
* Follow standard precautions and practice all precautionary measures related to contagious disease and infections.
* Wear appropriate clothing and shoes for your job.
* The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
* Requires patience in working with Senior Residents in the range of 60-100 plus years of age.
* The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
* At times, may be required to work outdoors.
* While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, talk or hear, and taste or smell. Job performance will often require standing for extended periods of time, which may be up to 4 hours at any session.
* The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
* The employee may be required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
* Able to regularly lift, move, rearrange, full pots, pans, hotel pans, racks, roasting pans that weigh anywhere from 5 – 50 pounds on a daily basis.
* The employee must often lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
* Specific vision abilities required by this job include the ability to adjust vision focus.
* While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and fumes or airborne particles.
* Communication Skills
* Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
* Interact well with our Carlton Family – residents, family members, all staff members, future residents.
* Reasoning Ability
* Ability to apply common sense understanding and carry out written or oral instructions.
* Education and Experience
* High School Diploma, or GED is preferred, or equivalent experience.
* Previous food and beverage and or restaurant supervisory experience is preferred.
* Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school or any other combination of education, experience that provides the required knowledge skills and abilities
* According to Title 22 requirements, employee must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
* Certificates, License, Registration
* Serve Safe Certification is required.
* Valid California drivers license.
* Current First Aid Certification (obtained through community)
* DOJ and FBI fingerprint clearance must be completed prior to working in community (obtained through community)
* Health screening and negative TB test, must be less than six (6) months old. (obtained through community)