Responsible for all administrative issues associated with the Operating Room including, but not limited to, departmental correspondence, monitoring and updating schedule board, acting as receptionist for the OR and other related duties as assigned.
• Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
• Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
• Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
• Greets individuals calling or visiting the department.
• Relays messages in a timely manner.
• Monitors progress of the daily schedule and communicates relevant information to the Charge Nurse.
• Coordinates information with Circulators, Physicians, Charge Nurse, and ancillary departments.
• Posts charges within 2 working days, including appropriate mark-ups.
• Ensures accurate patient information on the OR record
• Collects data for OR reports as requested.
• Assumes duties of scheduling and ordering as necessary.
• Schedules elective OR procedures, PAT’s and attendant resources as necessary.
• Maintains the ability to obtain routine supplies and equipment.
• Alerts appropriate departments of early/delayed/add-on procedures.
• Coordinates schedule with little assistance and few errors.
• Works independently with physician office staff to complete surgery schedule in a correct and efficient manner.
• Maintains scheduling/block booking policy.
• Maintains scheduling documentation in a neat and orderly fashion so that others may review for information.
• Possesses knowledge of computerized schedule system and is able to troubleshoot minor issues/problems with system as necessary.
• Alerts Charge Nurse of potential scheduling conflicts.
• Maintains professional relationships with physicians and office staff.
• Works collaboratively with admissions and PAT to gather appropriate information as necessary.
• Possesses basic knowledge of necessary equipment to avoid scheduling conflicts.
• Performs duties outside scope of job description without being requested to do so.
• Is able to organize daily activities to have all duties completed in a timely fashion.
• Performs other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
• Ability to work independently and take initiative.
• Ability to problem solve and trouble shoot minor problems.
• Good communication and organizational skills.
• High School diploma or GED; Degree or certificate in secretarial science or medical terminology preferred
• Minimum of one year related experience preferred