The SeniorProcess Improvement Specialist is responsible for managing strategicdevelopment and operational development initiatives across the system todeliver clinical and/or business benefits. The senior specialist willfacilitate multiple projects, use standard processes as a vehicle to achieveoutcomes and drive results, complete relevant analyses either individually oras part of a team, and play a key role in influencing change within and acrossbusiness units. The individual will be expected to quickly understand existingand new business constructs, both internal and external. The senior specialist plans, manages, andexecutes projects of moderate to large scope, size, and complexity andcoordinates efforts with others (subject matter experts, area leaders,financial analysts, clinicians, etc.) to ensure any cross-team,cross-functional collaboration activities and dependencies are addressed forthe success of each initiative/project. Often, these are high impact projects, directly impacting operations atmember organizations or within service lines. A strong sense of urgency and the ability to execute gracefully underpressure are essential for success. The individual will ensure effectivemanagement of key stakeholder expectations, particularly ensuring successfulengagement of staff affected by approved changes. Occasionally, the senior specialist will berequired to champion and deploy business and/or process improvement toolsets toa workgroup, to build new capabilities through knowledge sharing andcoaching. In all cases, the seniorspecialist provides hands-on support at all levels to ensure successfulimplementation of the change initiative. The ability to lead a team to asuccessful endpoint without formal authority, using a collaborative approach iskey. Most projects or initiatives to be facilitated by the senior specialistwill have a Return on Investment (ROI) or similar metric assigned. The initiatives are designed to addressspecific business and/or clinically-related challenges. While the challenge may be well-defined, theoptimal solution(s) may be unknown and will need to be designed and testedprior to implementation. Consequently, the ability to either independently orin teams, successfully complete root-cause analyses, develop an executableplan, identify and plan for risk associated with the plan, establish necessarybuy-in and present the overall case, and then facilitate the processimplementation, on time and on budget, are all critical success factors forthis assignment. Seniors will work withthe appropriate parties to develop metrics and scorecards to monitor thesuccess of the project implementation.
JobFunctions and Duties:
· Knows, understands, incorporates anddemonstrates the Northern Light Health Mission, Vision and Values in leadershipbehaviors, practices and decisions.
· Process management functions may includedata gathering and analysis, best practice research, process mapping,developing and recommending alternatives for improvement, developingperformance metrics, obtaining leadership or stakeholder agreement,implementing improvements, and monitoring post-process improvement initiativeperformance to updated standards.
· Responsible for all aspects of projectlife cycle including the definition, design, development, deployment,maintenance, and benefits tracking of assigned initiatives/projects, fromoriginal concept past final implementation and continued support to operationsrefinement and benefits realization.
· Utilize a well-structured set of tools andmethodologies based upon Lean Six Sigma and Project Management methodologies toenable the management and delivery of projects.
· Facilitates work sessions (meetings,workshops, etc.) with small teams in order to achieve a desired set ofobjectives. The candidate will craft theagenda, establish (with leaders) the intended outcomes of that session, andkeep the participants focused on the goals.
· Coordinates the assessment of and definesthe current state and subsequent root-cause and/or workflow analyses that leadto the current challenge.
· With the team and leaders, the candidatedevelops a detailed and executable project plan. The plan recognizesrequirements, dependencies and risk/mitigation. Timelines, resourcing and responsible parties are also identified. When appropriate, budgeting and financialimpact are coordinated with Financial Planning and Analysis.
· When a definitive future state cannot beimmediately identified, an "agile" or iterative process needs to beutilized. System engineering techniques may be deployed.
· Knowledge of risk assessmentclassification, capacity management, facility utilization modeling, qualitycontrols, and similar tools will be extensively applied to provide rigor tosolution development.
· Coordinates efforts with others at alllevels across the system. Updatesproject status, communicates goals, seeks input on concerns, and generallycreates an environment of transparency for issues, escalation andaccountability.
· Leverages innovation tools andmethodologies when solutions require more than traditional efficiencies andprocess improvements are insufficient.
· Creates and coordinates the detailedbusiness plan that describes the proposed change, implementation plan andexpected benefit, including the ROI, financial benefit, or similar metrics.
· Works with business partners and externalconsultants on larger projects.
· Coaches/trains the application of clinicaland business process improvement methodologies to other stakeholders.
· Ensures an effective and complete transferto the operational business owner on project completion.
· Acts as a liaison with other departmentssuch as Quality and IS, where there are related or integrated projects and/orwork processes.
· Creates and enables reinforcementmechanisms and celebrations of success.
· Works with the Office of SystemCommunications, training, HR and other operations specialists to formulatespecific plans and activities to support project implementation.
· Documents processes and procedures forfuture training by the affected areas as well as collaboration in the craftingof new system policies.
Note:Duties listed above reflect the majority of the duties of this job and doesnot, nor is it intended to, reflect all duties that may be required for anincumbent in this job to perform.
Education and Experience:
A bachelor's degree required and 7+ years of related experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience is required, as well as a minimum of 3 years supervisory experience planning and leading project teams, making data-driven analytical decisions and tracking andmeasuring performance and results. A Master's degree in business or healthcareadministration with three (3) years working in clinical environments ispreferred. At least two (2) discriminating strengths from the following areasare required: Project Management Institute (PMI) Project ManagementProfessional (PMP) certification; Lean Six Sigma Black Belt; Baldrige Performance Excellence Program training, Industrial or Systems Engineering forHealthcare.
Knowledge,Skills, and Abilities:
· Evidence of building relationships withand managing expectations of stakeholders at all levels
· Strong interpersonal skills withcapability to design and lead meetings, interviews and workshops with a rangeof audiences across the organization and externally
· Strong consulting and communicationskills, with ability to translate complex, difficult or potentially contentiousissues into clear options, assessments and reports, tailored for the audience
· Strong organizational, analytical,decision-making, and planning skills experience
· Leadership and motivation ofmulti-disciplinary teams and disparate groups, who may or may not be under yourdirect management responsibility, using strong facilitation and negotiationskills and experience
· Sound analytical and problem-solvingtechniques with ability to prioritize problems and demonstrate resourcefulnessin their resolution
· Exceptional communication skills – bothwritten and verbal; excellent active listening skills
· Able to work effectively at all levels inan organization
· Problem solving and root causeidentification skills, including ability to parse through often misleadinginformation to identify the relevant indicators
· Demonstrated the ability to organize andwork independently, but must also be a team player and able to work with andthrough others
· Ability to influence others and movetoward a common vision or goal
· Experience with large-scale organizationalchange efforts
· Proficient with MS Office applications(MSWord, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, MS Project)
· Clinical workflow mapping skills andworking knowledge of EHR Applications a plus
· Supervision Exercised
· While not having expressed authority, theSenior Specialist will use strong facilitation and negotiation skills to leadteams throughout Northern Light Health.
· Supervision Received (ability to actindependently)
· Receives general guidance and actsindependently to achieve established goals.
· Organizational Impact
· Indicate any special organizational/policyimpact
· Typical Contacts (Internal/External)
· Regularly interacts with leadership andemployees across Northern Light Health at all levels, as well as with externalpartners, institutions, organizations and consultants.