A Senior Systems Analyst works under general direction having an overall broad depth of hospital and information systems technology. A person in this position can conduct a business requirement reviews, includes business and user needs, documents requirements, formulates business requirements, generates systems scope and objectives for complex information systems, makes suggestions for workflow and process improvements, modifies, tests and implements 3rd party software or creates programmatic/scripted solutions, leads small to mid-size teams on mid-size to large projects (80 – 120 hrs) involving more-complex systems with moderate integration. Fully documents requirements, testing, code/script, processes and workflow. A Senior Systems Analyst in this position is expected to guide and advise less experienced analysts.
We have an environment of strong collaboration, empowerment/autonomy, and involvement in our solutions. In this environment, we all work toward the common goal of doing what is best for our patients and customers. The right person will enjoy continual learning, project work, support work, and of course, the rotational on-call after hours!
The ideal candidate for this role will have:
- Experience and knowledge of Cerner functions and configuration tools. In particular, we are looking for skills in the following areas: Orders, CCL, MPages, and Core (Event Sets, Position Mgmt, etc.).
- SQL report writing and relational database skills, with Cerner’s CCL, are a plus. Understanding of the Cerner data model is advantageous.
- Solid system analysis skills
- understand how system configurations impact the many areas of the system
- ability to research complex system issues to the point of recommendations and resolutions
- ability to use Cerner’s websites and resources to help resolve issues
Technical Knowledge (required)
- Must have one of the following (required):
- Associate’s degree (preferably IS/Business or healthcare emphasis) with 4 years’ relevant experience (IS/Business or healthcare)
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably IS/Business or healthcare emphasis) with 2 years relevant experience (IS/Business or healthcare)
- 6 years in healthcare or IS/Business experience
- Experience in healthcare beneficial
- General understanding of:
- Common technical terminology
- Network topologies
- Working knowledge of:
- MS Desktop products
- Client/Server applications
- Common programming languages (like C++ and Java)
- IT Selection and Implementation Methodology
- Software design and development best practices
- Required technical documentation including flowcharts
- Interpreting vendor technical requirements
- Relational database concepts
- Operating Systems (such as AIX, Windows, MAC and Linux)
- Types of hardware, storage, computing capacity of computers and end user devices
- Back up processes and disaster recovery
- Computer security procedures and protocols
- Report writing tools
Under the general supervision of a Manager, but may receive advice and assistance from other
leaders/managers of Information Systems .
AGE OF PATIENTS SERVED; X No clinical contact with patients
COMMON TO ALL IS JOB DESCRIPTIONS REGARDLESS OF LEVEL:
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (Core 10 Key Descriptors):
Functional Knowledge / Responsibilities
- Supports the Munson Medical Center mission statement.
- Embraces and supports the Relationship Based Care philosophy of Munson Medical Center.
- Safety is an individual’s responsibility. Know the physical requirements of the job and work within those guidelines. Perform job duties safely at all times, utilizing learned body mechanics and transferring / lifting techniques. Plan your actions to promote safety. Report any unsafe situation / equipment according to hospital procedure.
- Contributes to the team orientation of the Information Systems and, as such, is responsible for proper communication with pertinent department members.
Contributions and Achievements
- Performs implementations and/or upgrades to complex applications.
- Leads small teams of other analysts or provides specialized advice in the implementation and/or upgrades of simple to complex applications.
- Monitors, troubleshoots and resolves complex issues.
- Knows when to escalate issues to other analysts, vendors or on-call staff.
- Considered application expert of mid-size to large system or specific functions of larger system.
- Demonstrates in depth specialized knowledge in one or more technologies.
- Maintains departmental documentation.
- Adheres to proper security protocol at all times.
- Performs pre-defined operations during downtime procedures.
- Performs on-call functions as needed.
- Ability to provide end user education and technical guidance.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Demonstrates initiative and looks for opportunities for improvement.
- Seeks involvement in large/complex projects that span IS and the organization.
- Consistently delivers on tasks/assignments that challenge current development/skill level.
- Participates in defining strategy and tactics.
Coaching and Mentoring
- Demonstrates in-depth awareness of customers and their major business functions within area of expertise.
- Recognizes opportunities for customers, such as process redesign/optimization or leveraging functionality of systems.
- Understands technical solutions and works with vendors to find solutions.
- Demonstrates general understanding of healthcare operations (outside area of expertise).
- Participates in work outside specific area of business/expertise.
- Actively seeks to mentor and develop junior team members and peers.
- Actively seeks new ways to organize work to meet the skills and strengths of peers/junior team members.
- Actively seeks learning opportunities to develop and challenge current skill level and to stay current with industry direction.
- Leads medium projects groups using defined methodology.
- Recognizes needs, proposes new ideas, and defines scope, requirements, and timetables.
- Sees the bigger picture.
- Listens well and leads team to effective decision-making.
- Demonstrates effective negotiation skills.
- Seeks opportunities to develop and understands own leadership style and capabilities.
- Effectively prioritizes the work of self, project, and team members.
- Demonstrates effective facilitation skills.
- Resolves team conflicts.
- Escalates appropriate issues for discussion -- as well as options and recommendations -- to management’s attention.
- Develops a network of industry peers outside of MHC.
- Demonstrates ability to work with all levels and roles of members within the organization.
- Works constructively with others despite differences in interest, perspective or needs.
- Actively participates and adds value in team settings.
- Models consistent accountability and ownership.
Problem Solving Skills
- Shows appropriate comfort level in front of large and diverse groups both within and outside the IS departments.
- Demonstrates that verbal and written communications are concise, articulate, tactful, and tailored to the audience.
- Demonstrates the ability to independently identify complex issues, options, pros and cons, and recommended solutions with appropriate documentation to support options.
- Brings best practice of the industry to the table.
- Understands impact of change on process system-wide.
- Demonstrates core values at MHC, becoming a role model for others.
- Shows a commitment to and ownership of quality work for self and team.
- Shows a commitment to the MHC organization and IS department initiatives and strategy.
- Adjusts quickly to new situations.
- Displays productive energy on work assignments.
- Develops and reviews appropriate expectations or service levels with customers.
- Shows ability to facilitate outstanding service recovery.