The counselor completes assessments, conducts individual, group and family therapy, coordinates care with psychiatrist, referral sources, primary care physicians, assists with completion of all necessary paperwork and documentation in Athena Health.
This is a 10 month assignment. Winter and summer breaks are based upon the school's calendar.
1. Master’s Degree from an accredited school
2. Current licensure in good standing in the state of Louisiana
1. Three to five years of post-master’s experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults
2. Prior outpatient treatment experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
1. High level of ethics in managing patient confidentiality and advocacy
2. Able to utilize telephone, computer, printer, fax, and copier while performing certain duties
3. Evaluates and helps resolve urgent or emergent situations.
4. Good listening skills, alertness, problem solving skills under stressful situations.
5. Creative in use of therapeutic techniques.
6. Communicates effectively with patients, physicians, and other staff in written and verbal form.
Physical and Mental Requirements
1. Stands, walks, sits, and converses most of the day.
2. Exerts up to 10 pounds of force occasionally including pushing and/or pulling objects.
3. Ability to use office equipment telephone, computer, printer, fax, and copier, while performing position duties.
4. Uses scale and health monitoring devices including checking blood pressure, weight, height, etc.
5. OSHA Category III: Normal routine involves no exposure to blood, body fluid or tissue and as part of their employment, incumbents are not called upon to perform or assist in emergency care or first aid.
I: Essential Duties/Responsibilities (Position):
1. Achieves customer/patient satisfaction by greeting patients and proactively attending to their needs.
2. Responds to patient requests in a timely and efficient manner.
3. Maintains confidentiality of patient information at work and off duty.
4. Provides health education to students, families, and/or community health practitioners and groups, within area of specialty.
1. Performs initial assessments, evaluations, diagnoses, treatment, follow up, and education relevant to the clients care (age specific).
2. Obtains histories and develops treatment plans and notes, ensuring accuracy and competency
3. Acts as an advocate for the safe delivery of care and well-being of the client.
4. Documents client care, changes in treatment or symptoms, and interventions and strategies in response to changes.
5. Consults with psychiatrist when there is information that will assist the MD with medication management.
6. Teaches clients and/or families about diagnoses.
1. Assists in obtaining referrals, prior authorizations and other information necessary for authorization of services.
2. Maintains knowledge of referral lists for additions support services.