The Physical Therapist Assistant is a skilled technical provider of physical therapy treatments and related duties working under the direction of the Physical Therapist.
Line of Authority: :
Physical Therapist; Director of Therapy Services, Administrator/Director of Services
* Must have an Associate’s Degree from a recognized Physical Therapist Assistant Program accredited by the American Physical Therapy Association.
* Must be licensed in the state in which the assistant will be practicing.
* Active member of state and national Physical Therapy Associations preferred.
* Able to transfer, lift and guard patients safely with appropriate assistance.
* Able to bend, stoop, squat and lift numerous times daily (70 – 80 lbs) in the care of patients and use of equipment.
* Able to carry out fine motor skills with manual dexterity.
* Mental acuity, judgment and skills to adequately and safely perform job requirements.
* Able to see and hear adequately in order to respond to auditory and visual needs and clinical indications of the patients.
* Able to learn, absorb and apply professional training.
* Able to speak in a clear, concise voice in order to communicate adequately.
* Able to read, write and edit documentation.
* Must have reliable personal transportation.
* Provides physical therapy services as directed by the physical therapist and ordered by the physician according to policies and procedures and state/federal regulation.
* Assists the physical therapist with evaluation of progress toward goals.
* Observes records and reports to the therapist the conditions, reactions and responses related to assigned duties.
* Maintains daily records of treatments. Documents progress notes regarding patients as directed by the therapist.
* Assists the therapist in consulting with patients, family members and other health care professionals as appropriate.
* Assists the physical therapist with inservice programs and other meetings as assigned by the physical therapist.
* Contributes to physical therapy related CQI, as requested.
* Participates in interdisciplinary conferences to maintain continuity of patient care.
* May serve as Advisory Board member as requested by the Administrator/Director.