Provides a combination of direct patient care and unit clerical duties for the department. Administers care to designated patients under the direction of a Clinical Nurse and provides support to the patient care team. Ensures a clean and orderly environment for the patient. Provides information, directions and other assistance to physicians, patients, families, customers and vendors. May schedule tests and procedures for the patient, maintain patient records and sign patients in and out of the unit. May be responsible for the ordering, receiving and delivering of equipment and supplies for the patient care team. May be required to provide continuous observation including suicide prevention.
- High School Diploma or GED is required.
- May be required to complete Unit Secretary training program.
- Requires previous comparable acute patient care experience or successful completion of the IU Health PCA education program.
- Requires current Basic Life Support certification through the AHA or attainment at the completion of the IU Health PCA education program. Other advanced life support certifications may be required per unit/department specialty according to patient care policies.
- Requires basic knowledge of medical terminology.
- Requires knowledge of procedures and standards related to patient care activities.
- Requires knowledge of principles of infection control.
- Requires basic computer skills.