Performs specified duties in order to maintain high standards of quality food preparation, production, service, and portion control, using standardized recipes, for all customers.
RESPONSIBLE TO: :
Director of Dietary / Dietary Manager / Assistant Dietary Manager
* Must have a sincere interest in foodservice and enjoy working with geriatric and other healthcare patients.
* Must have, or be willing to learn, food preparation and cooking skills.
* Must have knowledge of, or be willing to learn, therapeutic and modified diet information to use in preparing and serving patient trays.
* Must be able to read and interpret standardized recipes for quantity and quality food production.
* Must have knowledge of, or be willing to learn, correct sanitation procedures and use these on a daily basis.
* Must be willing to perform repetitive tasks daily.
* Must possess and use excellent customer service and communication skills.
* Must be able to follow oral and written instructions.
* Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand English.
* Must be able to read and understand labels on chemicals and MSDS sheets and be able to use these products safely and correctly.
* Must be in good mental and physical condition.
* Must possess leadership qualities and be able to supervise and secure the cooperation of the dietary partners.
* Must work cooperatively and productively with all partners in Dietary and in all departments following established policies of the center.
* Must be willing to fulfill the responsibilities of the position, must be at work on time and during scheduled shift.
* May be required to have or obtain a Food Handlers Certificate or Sanitation Course, as required by state regulations.
* Must be able to work under supervision.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: :
* Must be able to be on feet standing or walking most of the working day and must be able to bend, stoop, squat, and twist numerous times daily.
* Must be able to lift 50-60 pounds, sweep and mop floors, and push/pull carts. Must be able to climb on safety ladders to perform cleaning, storage, or other duties.
* Must be able to carry out fine motor skills and manual dexterity requirements.
* Must possess mental acuity high enough to adequately perform job requirements.
* Must be able to see and hear adequately in order to respond to auditory and visual requests from patients as well as communicate with staff.
* Must be able to handle and use all food service equipment of standard height and design in demonstrating proper use in food preparation, service, and cleanliness or in actual use of equipment.
* Must be able to taste and smell foods to determine quality and palatability.
* Must be able to withstand changes of extreme temperatures while working around ranges in kitchens or entering walk-in freezer, etc. In dish room, must be able to work in a noisy room with a warm, moist, and odorous atmosphere.
* Must be alert and work safely and cautiously to avoid cuts and burns while working with kitchen equipment and to avoid falls while working on or near wet and slippery floors.
* Must not have any medical conditions which would endanger self or others if such should occur while in the Dietary Department or during patient contact.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: :
Are determined by the center and may include, but are not limited to the following:
* Must demonstrate qualities of being a self-starter and be able to make independent decisions when necessary.
* Must be able to manage the dietary department in the absence of the dietary manager when necessary and act as the supervisor when the manager or assistant manager is not available.
* Has a thorough understanding of all regulations (local, state, and federal) which affect dietary including, but not limited to, patient care, sanitation, labor, fire, safety, and disaster and complies with these regulations.
* Assists in maintaining the dietary department in a safe, secure, and sanitary manner and reports any problems to the Dietary Manager.
* Uses good judgment in conserving supplies, preventing food waste, and conserving utilities. Reports any food, supply, and equipment needs or concerns to the Dietary Manager.
* Assists in receiving and storing food and supplies to prevent waste and assure quality products. Dates, labels, and stores items properly. Uses proper food handling techniques.
* Reviews menus, therapeutic menus, recipes, and production sheets before preparing meals and prepares and serves all diets properly, accurately, and attractively as planned using proper portions and special diet items.
* Follows standardized recipes and special diet orders, preparing sufficient quantities to meet all service requirements.
* Responsible for testing and tasting foods for proper appearance, flavor, aroma, and temperature and making adjustments if needed.
* Responsible for timing of preparation of meals/snacks to meet time schedule for service for all customers and ensures that all meals/snacks are served as scheduled.
* Portions foods on plate during tray service according to standards. Checks trays for accuracy of diets, preferences, and quality before they are delivered. Serves on tray line and delivers carts to floors as needed.
* Follows menus provided; if menu substitutions are necessary, records these substitutions in designated place.
* Must show initiative in choosing garnishes, seasonings according to patient/resident preferences, the use of leftovers, and in food presentation and service.
* Attends in-service and other necessary training.
* Keeps work area clean and uncluttered, and completes assigned cleaning duties. Responsible for the proper use, care, cleanliness, and sanitation of kitchen and equipment.
* Communicates and cooperates with the staff, patients, and their families.
* Processes new diet orders and diet changes when received from nursing service, and keeps tray cards updated in absence of Dietary Manager.
* Adheres to the dress code for the department.
* Performs other tasks as necessary and appropriate.