The candidate should be a CTRS with 3-5 years of TR exp and Leadership experience.:
This position would supervise Therapeutic Recreation staff on our Skilled Nursing units and Personal Care units, including Memory Care on both.:
Homewood, a leader since 1932 in providing care and services within a continuing care retirement community, is looking for individuals who wish to exhibit compassion and kindness in their daily work, and are ready to serve. We embrace a fun, team-oriented atmosphere. Through teamwork, we become more creative, find solutions, enjoy our work and build relationships. It all adds up to exceptional job satisfaction and stability. You too can discover the satisfaction of knowing that your work can make a difference in your life and in the lives of people around you.
Coordinates the activity program to meet the psycho social needs of the resident through organization and development of structured activities.
* Treats all information about residents, their condition, and family as well as personnel matters as confidential information.
* Complies with established Corporate and Departmental policies and procedures, and maintains established standards and practices.
* Identifies and assesses the activity and social needs of each resident, participates in resident care planning, develops goals to meet these needs, and charts activity notes concisely and accurately on each resident according to state and federal regulations.
* Conducts reality orientation, remotivation programs and group discussions for the residents as well as providing sensory stimulation on a one-on-one basis.
* Coordinates with other departments to most effectively meet the psycho social needs of the resident.
* Facilitates assistance for residents in personal needs such as writing letters, completing forms, reading, shopping, transporting residents to activity functions, etc.,...
* Provides community service projects for residents to enhance self-esteem.
* Sets up a flexible schedule to provide coverage of special weekend and evening activities.
* Responsible for managing, motivating, leading and supervising co-workers who report to this position.
* Recruits, hires, orients, trains, disciplines and evaluates co-workers.
* Recruits, orients and schedules volunteers to assist in the various facility programs.
* Oversees the publication of the bi-monthly Homewood newsletter in addition to providing the monthly calendar of activities and events.
* Performs other functions as directed by the supervisor.
* Bachelor’s degree in Therapeutic Recreation or related field or two years’ experience working directly with the elderly in an activity program and completed training course approved by the state to become certified as an Activity Director Certified.
* Management ability including skills in written and verbal communication, judgment and reasoning and coaching.
* Has compassion, understanding and empathy for older persons.
* Understands management, delegation and motivational concepts.
* Ability to make independent and good judgment decisions.
* Qualities of leadership, initiative and dependability.
* Ability to communicate to residents at a level they can understand.
* Ability to and enjoys encouraging and motivating older persons.
* Qualities of creativity, resourcefulness and imagination in planning resident activities.
* Ability to drive Homewood’s van and has a valid driver’s license.
Must be able to constantly work on their feet during an 8 hour shift. Sometimes involved in assisting with resident transfers or repositioning. Must be able to react quickly and decisively in emergency situations and during unexpected behavior of residents. Must be able to push residents who are in a wheel chair frequently throughout an 8 hour shift (and be able to drive the company van.)