Purpose of Your Job Position:
The primary purpose of your job position is to assist the Director of Nursing Services in planning organizing, developing, and directing the day-to-day functions of the Nursing Service Department in accordance with current federal, state, and local standards, guidelines, and regulations that govern our facility, and as may be directed by the Administrator, the Medical Director, and/or the Director of Nursing Services, to ensure that the highest degree of quality care is maintained at all times.
Delegation of Authority:
As Assistant Director of Nursing Services, you are delegated the administrative authority, responsibility, and accountability necessary for carrying out your assigned duties. In the absence of the Director of Nursing Services, you are charged with carrying out the resident care policies established by this facility.
* Must possess, as a minimum, a Nursing Degree from an accredited college or university.
* Must have, as a minimum, two (2) years of experience as a supervisor in a hospital, nursing care facility, or other related health care facility.
* Must have, as a minimum of six (6) months experience in rehabilitative and restorative nursing practices.
* Must possess a current, unencumbered, active license to practice as a Registered Nurse in this state.
Every effort has been made to identify the essential functions of this position. However, it in no way states or implies that these are the only duties you will be required to perform. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or is an essential function of the position.
* Assist the Director of Nursing Services in planning, developing, organizing, implementing, evaluating, and directing the day-to-day functions of the nursing service department, in accordance with current rules, regulations, and guidelines that govern the long-term care facility.
* Participate in developing, maintaining, and updating our written policies and procedures that govern the day-to-day functions of the nursing service department.
* Ensure that reference material (i.e., PDR’S, regulations, professional standards of practice, etc.) maintained at the nurses’ stations is current. Recommend to the Director written material that will assist the nursing service department in meeting the day-to-day needs of residents.
* Ensure that the Nursing Service Procedures Manual is current at all times and reflects the day-to-day nursing care procedures used by this facility.
* Develop and periodically update nursing service objectives and statements of philosophy.
* Assist in developing and implementing a nursing service organization structure.
* Make written and oral reports/recommendations to the Director as necessary/ required, concerning the operation of the nursing service department.
* Periodically review the department’s policies, procedure manuals, job descriptions, etc. Make recommendations for revisions of policies, procedures, etc., to the Director of Nursing Services.
* Assist in developing methods for coordinating nursing services with other resident services to ensure the continuity of the residents’ total regimen of care.
* Ensure that all nursing service personnel are following their respective job descriptions. Participate in developing, maintaining, and periodically updating the written job descriptions for each level of nursing personnel in accordance with pertinent laws and regulations.
* Participate in the development, maintenance, and implementation of the facility’s quality assurance program for the nursing service department.
* Participate in facility surveys (inspections) made by authorized government agencies as requested by the administrator or director of nursing services.
* Participate in developing, implementing, and periodically updating the resident’s written discharge plan.
* Assist the resident and Discharge Planning Coordinator in planning the nursing services portion of the resident’s discharge plan.
* Perform administrative duties such as completing medical forms, reports, evaluations, studies, charting, etc., as necessary.
* Monitor the facility’s QI, QM and survey reports and provide the Director with recommendations that will be helpful in eliminating problem areas.
* Assist the Director in obtaining staffing information that must be posted on a daily basis.
* Agree not to disclose assigned user ID code and password for accessing resident/facility information and promptly report suspected or known violations of such disclosure to the Administrator.
* Agree not to disclose resident’s protected health information and promptly report suspected or known violations of such disclosure to the Administrator.
* Report any known or suspected unauthorized attempt to access facility’s information system.
* Participate in the development, maintenance, implementation, and updating of the written policies and procedures for the administration, storage, and control of medications and supplies.
* Assist the Director in determining the staffing needs of the nursing service department.
* Recommend to the Director the number and level of nursing personnel to be employed.
* Assist the Director in the recruitment and selection of nursing service personnel.
* Ensure that a sufficient number of licensed practical and/or registered nurses are available for each tour of duty to ensure that quality care is maintained.
* Ensure that a sufficient number of certified nursing assistants are available for each tour of duty to ensure that routine nursing care is provided to meet the daily nursing care needs of each resident.
* Ensure that all nursing assistants are enrolled in or have graduated from an approved nursing assistant training program.
* Develop work assignments and schedule duty hours, and/or assist nursing supervisory staff in completing and performing such tasks.
* Ensure that all nurse aide trainees are under the direct supervision of a licensed nurse.
* Schedule work assignments and duty hours.
* Delegate to the Charge Nurses and Nurse Supervisors the administrative authority, responsibility, and accountability necessary to perform their assigned duties.
* Assist the Director in preparing performance evaluations as directed.
* Participate in the development and implementation of performance evaluations for the nursing service department.
* Make daily rounds of the nursing service department to ensure that all nursing service personnel are performing their work assignments in accordance with acceptable nursing standards. Report findings to the Director.
* Monitor absenteeism to ensure that an adequate number of nursing care personnel are on duty at all times. Report problem areas to the Director.
* Monitor the professional nurses’ licensing status to ensure that they remain current. Inform nurses at least 30 days in advance of their license expiration date.
* Review complaints and grievances made or filed by department personnel. Make appropriate reports to the Director as required or as may be necessary.
* Ensure that departmental disciplinary action is administered fairly and without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, age, sex, religion, handicap, or marital status.
* Interpret the department’s policies and procedures to personnel, residents, visitors, and government agencies as necessary.
* Ensure that all nursing personnel participate in the facility’s TB testing program.
* Report occupational exposures to blood, body fluids, infectious materials, and hazardous chemicals in accordance with the facility’s policies and procedures governing accident and incidents.
* Report known or suspected incidents of fraud to the Administrator.
* Ensure that departmental computer workstations left unattended are properly logged off or the password protected automatic screen-saver activates within established facility policy guidelines.