For 165 years, Touro has been in the vanguard of medical excellence. As one of New Orleans' most enduring monuments, Touro Infirmary stands for stability. Tens of thousands of babies have been born here, and we've treated more than a million people. Our modern facilities utilize the latest technology. Touro offers a full range of services including emergency services, preventive diagnostics, surgical care, women’s services, cardiology, cancer treatment, rehabilitation, imaging, orthopedics, stroke care and more. In its history, Touro Infirmary has cared for generations of New Orleanians. Our patients and the community can count on our ongoing commitment the health and wellbeing for generations to come.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being preformed by people assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. LCMC/Touro Infirmary reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary.
The purpose of this job is to provide a visual security presence to ensure a safe and secure environment for patients, visitors, physicians and staff.
- Patrols the main area on a constant basis to maintain crowd control and order. Perform safety and equipment inspections. Provide information and assistance to students, staff, and the general public.
- Responds to all calls for assistance immediately unless involved in or responding to an emergency situation. Documents details on the daily shift report. Operate security screening equipment, access control systems, video security and intrusion detection systems. Report and control unauthorized or suspicious persons, unsafe conditions or other irregularities.
- Completes reports completely accurately and legibly 100% of the time. Completes all reports by the end of the shift. Receives and secures valuables without discrepancies, ensuring the inventory is documented.
- Work and respond to all radio calls in a timely manner. Responds to calls for service. Call police or fire departments in cases of emergency, such as fire or presence of unauthorized persons.
- Monitor and adjust controls that regulate building systems, such as air conditioning, furnace, or boiler. Operate detecting devices to screen individuals and prevent passage of prohibited articles into restricted areas. Work with electronic alarm systems, monitoring closed-circuit television screens in a central station.
- Enters supply room(s) on nursing units as needed to perform necessary job functions. Refrains from manipulating or removing any intravenous fluids that are stored in the area.
High school diploma or equivalent.
Police academy graduate.
1 year experience in the security field.
3 years in a hospital setting. Prior military, law enforcement, or armed security experience preferred.
Annual Baton Training, Annual Firearms Training, Basic Life Support/CPR, Cert Non-Violent Crises Intervention
As required by jurisdiction- Knowledge of: state and federal criminal codes; firearms; crisis intervention skills and use; universal precautions; and, PPE.
Training from a police academy.
As required by jurisdiction-Must be skilled with firearms, handcuffs and restraining. Must have the ability to walk and stand for long periods of time and to interact with customers who may be criminal, violent, disruptive, combative, disoriented, etc.
Touro Infirmary is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.