Responsible for all routine phlebotomy duties. Must be able to screen incoming telephone calls, order specific supplies and reagents, and accurately label specimen containers. Must be able to perform limited clerical duties and other functions as requested by the Laboratory Director, Laboratory Manager or Supervising Technologist.
- High School graduate or GED equivalent.
- Previous experience as a phlebotomist or completion of an approved phlebotomy course (may be waived if approved by Lab Director or Lab Manager).
- ASCP or NCA Phlebotomy certification recommended.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Able to work on occasion with minimal direct supervision.
- Never convicted of a criminal offense related to health care.
- Not listed by a Federal agency as debarred, excluded or otherwise ineligible for participation in federally funded health care programs.
- Able to work in a latex burdened environment.
- Ability to speak clearly and distinctly with staff, physicians, patients and fellow employees.
- Must be able to use the telephone to communicate with clients in a clear and precise manner.
- Must have audio ability to communicate with staff, physicians, patients and fellow employees. Audio abilities must enable employee to hear the operation of technical equipment for safety reasons.
- Coordination and motor skills required for obtaining blood specimens from patients following OSHA guidelines.
- Lifting and moving of small technical equipment is required.
- Motor skills must allow for performing duties of faxing, copying, typing and filing of laboratory information.
- Vision must be corrected to enable reading of test results in a clear and concise manner. Color blindness would be evaluated as to degree of inhibition in performing tests assigned.
- Motor skills must allow safe handling of chemicals according to OSHA guidelines.
- Motor skills must allow safe handling of bloodborne pathogens according to OSHA guidelines
- Responsible to the Pathologist, Lab Director, Lab Manager, Medical Technologists, and works effectively with all members of the health care team.
- Contributes a positive attitude and department cohesiveness by working cooperatively with other staff members.
- Demonstrates a team approach by working cooperatively with all members of the health care team.
- Offers and receives criticism in a constructive manner.