Job Summary: The Coder will be responsible for reviewing all medical record information to select diagnoses and procedures. In accordance with ICD-10-CM coding guidelines, the coding specialist will assign appropriate codes and DRGs for statistical and reimbursement purposes. Strong knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy & physiology, pharmacology, attention to detail and strong communication skills are absolutely required.
Minimum Education Requirements: Must possess a high school diploma or GED. RHIA, RHIT, CCS, CPC, eligible; active member in AHIMA.
Minimum Experience Requirements: 3 or more years of coding experience in a hospital setting required.
Preferred Qualifications: Associate's degree or completion of the AHIMA independent study program preferred. Experience coding in long-term acute care records preferred.
Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics:
· Ability to accurately perform diagnostic and procedural coding following approved coding conventions.
· Assigns ICD-10-CM codes to all inpatients within one working day of receipt of the chart
· Ability to enter data into the hospital information system accurately and completely.
· Knowledge of medical terminology, clinical medicine and anatomy/physiology.
· Good organizational, communication and excellent interpersonal skills.
· Demonstrates on-going participation in continuing education and other training programs.
GOOD SHEPHERD'S UNIVERSAL FLU PROGRAM
As a health-care provider, we have a professional and ethical obligation to protect our patients and residents from developing further complications.
To protect our patients and residents, Good Shepherd is now requiring influenza (flu) vaccinations for all Associates, licensed independent practitioners, contracted, agency and temporary employees, students and volunteers
Good Shepherd is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by State or Federal law.