Assists the Unit Director with the responsibility and accountability for the management of the unit. Emphasis on independent decision making related to the nursing process. Demonstrates the ability to provide consistent direction for all nursing personnel in planning, organizing, implementing and evaluating nursing activities.
Hold a current Texas permit or license as a Registered Nurse. BSN preferred.
B. Training and Experience:
1. Current BLS through the American Heart Association required within 90 days of hire and ACLS for RNs)
2. Successful completion of general and nursing orientation within 3 months of hire.
3. Demonstrate appropriate leadership skills:
· Role Presentation
· Modeling Decision-making and problem resolution
4. Eighteen months full time experience as RN preferred (if less than 18 months, administrative approval required). Full time status.
5. Completion of the following competencies within 3 months of hire or transfer:
· RN competencies
· Effective time management, prioritization and organizational skills
· Adhere to established policies and procedures
· Pronouncement of death
· Staff development and facilitation of learning
· Appropriate delegation
· Appropriate staffing and assignment
· Unit organization including supplies and equipment and use of charge system
· Evaluation of supervised staff
· Professional development (continuing education, certification, etc.)
· Performance Improvement participation
· Participation in code blue
· Participation in Rapid response
· Minimal Lift Training
· Restraint Training
6. Complete other requirements by the unit within 6 months of hire or transfer:
· Cardiac Cath – Specific Competencies
· Cardiac Interpretation Exam
· ACLS Certification
7. Complete other requirements by the unit within one year of hire or transfer:
· Critical Care Course
· Defibrillation Certification
· Respiratory – Specific Competency