The Education & Research Specialist is responsible for coordinating and providing ongoing education in support of the mission of Hospice of Michigan (HOM) and Arbor Hospice & Palliative Care (Arbor). The Education & Research Specialist will assist to systematically analyze, assess, design, develop, implement, and evaluate evidence-based, customer-focused learning and performance projects, as well as coordinates, facilitates, and provides overall project management for research projects, which support the mission and vision of HOM, Arbor and the Institute.
- Proactively follows up and interacts with guests, customers and employees in a courteous and professional manner at all times.
- Proactively assists in the design framework for education, orientation and training programs and revises current programs based on evidence-based research and practice findings.
- Proactively assists in identifying learning and performance needs of HOM and Arbor, including newly hired and current staff.
- Ensures completion of competencies for both newly hired and current staff based on discipline-specific job duties.
- Acts as teacher and clinical resource to all staff in need of in-service and/or ongoing education as well as external audiences.
- Designs and develops learning tools, including training manuals and modules as well as job aids.
- Coordinates learning and performance technology projects, including planning, scheduling, monitoring, on-site coordination, documenting, and tracking of activities.
- Manages multiple projects, ensuring intended outcomes are achieved within specified timelines.
- Proactively assists in evaluating impact/outcomes of human performance technology projects and programs.
- Uses various methods of evaluation as well as statistical and measurement tools.
- Writes reports (formative reports, summative reports, executive summaries, annual reports, etc.).
- Applies current research and theory to the practice setting.
- Coordinates research projects, including planning, scheduling, monitoring, on-site coordination, documenting, and tracking of activities, in collaboration with the Director.
- Proactively participates in quality assurance processes/programs.
- Consistently follows all departmental and organizational protocols and practices with both internal and external customers, and that boundaries within the scope of practice are not exceeded.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Nursing preferred. Education, social work, instructional technology, considered. Master’s degree preferred.
- Certification in area of specialty preferred. Current Michigan licensure if a nurse/social worker.
- Advanced knowledge and clinical expertise in hospice and palliative care required.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience within health care setting with three (3) years additional clinical, education, teaching, and/or research experience preferred.
- Project management, technical writing, education and performance technology experience required.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize and manage teaching, learning, training and human performance technology projects required.
- Demonstrated understanding of regulatory/compliance issues and performance improvement process.
- Demonstrated willingness to add to own professional growth.
- Must be able to read, write and speak English fluently and be able to effectively communicate orally and in writing in internal and external relationships for all essential job functions.
- Must have demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with and collaborate with others to achieve project outcomes.
- Ability to effectively use technology in support of management and clinical operations.
- Must possess sound judgment; effective organizational, prioritization and follow-through skills; attention to detail; accuracy; dependability; tact; and ability to maintain confidential information.