Responsible for preparing meals for the residents which meet their individual needs and preparing meals for special events as needed. The cook is responsible for ensuring the quality of prepared food items, the service to residents and the safety and sanitation of the Nutrition Services Department.
* Ability to understand, remember and carry out oral and written instructions in English.
* Must successfully complete an accredited food handler training course, within 60 days of employment.
* Physical ability to lift/carry equipment, food supplies, etc., is necessary.
* Must be able to follow recipes and basic math.
* Experience in quantity food preparation/production is preferred.
* Effective communication and interpersonal skills are necessary.
The following represents the essential functions of this job to be used to determine if an individual with a physical or mental impairment can perform these functions with or without reasonable accommodation. The other functions listed may be required of all other staff in the position.
* Prepares, or directs preparation of food items on assigned/scheduled menus.
* Adheres to food production and usage schedules, and avoids waste.
* Follow safety and sanitation policies and procedures. This includes cleaning assignments as scheduled, cleaning equipment and following all safety rules to protect self, other employees, residents and guests. Follow all sanitation policies and procedures for food storage preparation and transport.
* Preparation of resident meal trays and checking all items on tray to ensure meal items meet prescribed individual resident needs.
* Prepares, or directs preparation of special items/meals/snacks.
* Prepares special nourishments/supplements as instructed by food and nutrition services director, and identifies with resident name and room number.
* Assists in establishment and maintenance of perpetual supplies inventory, and notifies food and nutrition services director of shortages or discrepancies.
* Complies with established policies/practices/standards for food preparation.
* Logs/records temperatures of food and equipment.
* May assist in the training, orientation, and supervision of newly hired food and nutrition services staff.
* Must be capable of maintaining regular attendance in accordance with facility absence policy.
* Performs other duties/tasks as may be appropriate.
* Attends required in-service training.
* Adhere to dress code.
* Functions within the constraints of established policy, practice, and procedure.
* Activities are directed to the accomplishment of assigned tasks in a prescribed manner with some latitude for change or variation.
* Report all accidents/injuries to facility leadership if the Food and Nutrition Services Director is not on duty.
* Communicates in a professional and courteous manner using effective verbal and non-verbal communication skills with residents, their families, and co-workers.
* Maintains confidentiality of department, resident, employee information, communication, and documentation as well as compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) regulations.
* Clocks in and out for all working/training hours. Working off the clock will not be permitted at any time or for any reason.
* Maintain compliance with Daybreak’s Compliance program and plan.
* Adhere to the Daybreak Code of Conduct
* These duties are not all-inclusive but provide minimum performance expectations and will be reviewed in the performance process.