The purpose of the MDS Coordinator is to assure that all residents of the facility are properly entered into the MDS system and all assessments and care plans are performed in a timely manner in compliance with Medicare/Medicaid rules and regulations. That all Nursing and supporting therapy documentation support the resident’s diagnosis, level of acuity, and treatment. Working with the admission personnel, assure that all residents admitted and/or treated are classified appropriately according to diagnosis, acuity and payer source.
* RN/LVN with valid license in the state of employment.
* Computer literate
* Familiar with rules and regulations, and entry of MDS information related to Medicare/Medicaid.
* Strong assessment, clinical skills, and the ability to evaluate the quality of the resident documentation.
* Strong communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
* Clinical experience in Long Term Care and/or Medicare setting.
The following represents the essential functions of this job to be used to determine if an individual with a physical or mental impairment can perform these functions with or without reasonable accommodation. The other functions listed may be required of all other staff in the position.
* Assure that all MDS information is entered per schedule and in compliance with Medicare/Medicaid rules and regulations.
* Work with the DON, Charge Nurses and various other departments who contribute to the residents MDS assessment to review and evaluate the information to determine the accuracy and applicable level of care.
* Assure all assessments and documentation is completed per schedule by all nursing and supporting therapies in compliance with Medicare/Medicaid rules and regulations.
* Monitor lab results, 24-Hour reports, orders, and other applicable information that may influence the resident’s acuity, treatment, diagnosis, and classification and make changes in the MDS as appropriate.
* Assure resident care plans are completed and updated timely in compliance with Medicare/Medicaid rules and regulations.
* Coordinate the assessment schedule with the interdisciplinary team to ensure timeliness of assessments and maximize reimbursement for all Medicare PPS assessments.
* Participate in the weekly Medicare Meetings and provide the MDS and skilled service information to the participants in the meeting.
* Report all opportunities to improve and enhance resident care, substandard documentation, late assessments, non-compliance with treatment schedules and/or therapies and all other related information to the Administrator and DON.
* Assure that the physician orders, weights, and other pertinent information is updated in the MDS computer system daily and the monthly physician orders are printed and checked before the last day of each month.
* All other duties as assigned.
* Reports all problems or areas of concern to the Administrator and DON.
* Communicates in a professional and courteous manner using effective verbal and non-verbal communication skills with residents, their families, and co-workers.
* Maintains confidentiality of department, resident, employee information, communication, and documentation as well as compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) regulations.
* Clocks in and out for all working/training hours. Working off the clock will not be permitted at any time or for any reason.
* Maintain compliance with Daybreak’s Compliance program and plan.
* Adhere to the Daybreak Code of Conduct
* These duties are not all-inclusive but provide minimum performance expectations and will be reviewed in the performance process.