Manage administrative and functional areas or programs within the Nursing Department. Assist the Director of Nursing (DON) in overall operation of the department in accordance with Company policies, and standards of nursing practices and government regulations, so as to maintain quality care.
Essential Job Functions::
This facility expects their employees to promote an atmosphere of teamwork with other employees and hospitality and comfort for its residents. Therefore, the following list of duties is not all-inclusive:
* Assist the DON in planning, developing, organizing, implementing, evaluating and directing the day-to-day functions of the nursing department in accordance with current rules, regulations, and guidelines.
* Make written and oral reports/recommendations to the DON as necessary/required, concerning the operation of the nursing department.
* Assist in developing methods for coordinating nursing services with other resident services to verify the continuity of the residents’ total regimen of care.
* Assist DON to monitor day-to-day operation of the nursing department and establish priorities and manage records, budgets, or supplies.
* Confirm that all nursing personnel are following their respective job descriptions.
* Participate in the development, maintenance, and implementation of the facility’s quality assurance program for the nursing service department.
* Participate in facility surveys (inspections) made by authorized government agencies as requested by the Administrator or Director of Nursing.
* Participate in developing, implementing, and periodically updating the resident’s written discharge plan.
* In the absence of the DON, serve on, participate in, and attend various committees of the facility (i.e. Infection Control, Quality Assurance, etc.)
* Assist the DON in determining the staffing needs of the nursing department.
* Assist with interviewing, orienting, training, evaluating, and supervising the nursing department personnel as directed by the DON.
* Delegate to the Charge Nurses and Nurse Supervisors the administrative authority, responsibility, and accountability necessary to perform their assigned duties.
* Make daily rounds of the nursing department to verify that all nursing personnel are performing their work assignments in accordance with acceptable nursing standards. Report findings to the Director.
* Monitor absenteeism to verify that an adequate number of nursing personnel are on duty at all times. Report problem areas to the Director.
* Review complaints and grievances made or filed by department personnel. Make appropriate reports to the Director as required or as may be necessary.
* Conduct departmental disciplinary action fairly and without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, or marital status.
* Confirm that all nursing personnel participate in the facility’s TB testing program.
* Provide the Director with information relative to the nursing needs of the resident and to the nursing department’s ability to meet those needs.
* Inform nursing service personnel of new admissions, their expected time of arrival, room assignment, etc.
* Make rounds with physicians as necessary.
* Inform the Director when physician visits are not made in a timely manner.
* Review nurses’ notes to verify that they are informative and descriptive of the nursing care being provided, that they reflect the resident’s response to the care, and that such care is provided in accordance with the resident’s wishes.
* Schedule daily rounds to observe residents and to determine if nursing needs are being met.
* Monitor medication passes and treatment schedules to verify that medications are being administered as ordered and that treatments are provided as scheduled.
* Report problem areas to DON. Assist in developing and implementing corrective action.
* Comply with, support and enforce Company policies involving all safety and infection control procedures to include the proper use of mechanical lifts and gait belts.
* Monitor nursing personnel to verify that they are following established safety regulations in the use of equipment and supplies.
* Verify that all resident care rooms, treatment areas, etc., are maintained in a clean, safe, and sanitary manner.
* Participate in the development and implementation of the procedures for the safe operation of all nursing equipment. Verify that all equipment is operated in a safe manner.
* Monitor nursing procedures to verify that nursing supplies are used in an efficient manner to avoid waste.
* Participate in the development of written preliminary and comprehensive assessments of the nursing needs of each resident.
* Assist the MDS/Care Plan Coordinator in planning, scheduling and revising the MDS, including the implementation of RAPS and Triggers.
* Participate in the development of a written care plan (preliminary and comprehensive) for each resident that identifies the problems/needs of the resident, indicates the care to be given, goals to be accomplished, and which professional service is responsible.
* Verify that all personnel involved in providing care to the resident are aware of the resident’s care plan. Verify that nursing personnel refer to the resident’s care plan prior to administering daily care to the resident.
* Review nurses’ notes to determine if the care plan is being followed.
* Develop and maintain a good rapport with all services involved with the care plan to verify that a team effort is achieved in developing their resident’s comprehensive care plan.
* Review complaints and grievances made by the resident and make a written/oral report to the Director indicating what action(s) were taken to resolve the complaint or grievance. Follow facility’s established procedures.
* Maintain a written record of the resident’s complaints and/or grievances that indicates the action taken to resolve the complaint and the current status of the complaint.
* Regularly inspect the facility and nursing practices for compliance with company, federal, state, and local standards and regulations.
* Report and investigate all allegations of resident abuse and/or misappropriation of resident property.
* Verify that nursing personnel honor the resident’s refusal of treatment request. Confirm that such requests are in accordance with the facility’s policies governing advance directives.
* Develop positive relationships on behalf of the company with governmental regulators, families, health care community and the community at large.
* Fill in as acting DON, Charge Nurse or other nursing position, as needed.
* Attend in-service education programs in order to meet facility educational requirements.
* Be familiar with Standard Precautions, Exposure Control Plan, Fire Drill and Evacuation Procedures and know how to use the information.
* Maintain confidentiality of resident and facility records/information.
* Protect residents from neglect, mistreatment, and abuse.
* Protect the personal property of the residents of the facility.
* Others as directed by the supervisor or administrator.
* Registered Nurse with current state license.
* Organized and detailed in work performance.
* Good communication skills with excellent self-discipline and patience.
* Genuine caring for and interest in elderly and disabled people in a nursing facility.
* Comply with the Residents’ Rights and Facility Policies and Procedures.
* Perform work tasks within the physical demand requirements as outlined below.
* Function independently, and have flexibility, personal integrity, and the ability to work effectively with residents, personnel, and support agencies
* Relate to and work with the ill, disabled, elderly, emotionally upset, and at times hostile people within the facility.
* Basic computer knowledge and ability to learn computer software.
* Perform Essential Duties as outlined above.