The Cook I position performs a wide variety of functions to ensure high quality, sanitary food service to patients and customers. The primary tasks of this position include but are not limited to: portioning/packaging food items; preparing and cooking high quality hot and cold food items for patients and customers following HACCP and departmental procedures; slicing and cutting food products; following standardized recipes; completion of HACCP and production paperwork; taking food temperatures and calibrating thermometers; setting up hot food to maximize presentation; communication of recipe ingredients and portion size to servers; safe use and maintenance of all production equipment; proper storage and utilization of leftover food products following HACCP and departmental procedures; and helping to maintain the overall cleanliness of the cafeteria and kitchen.
· High school diploma or equivalent is strongly preferred but not required.
· Completion of annual mandatory ECHN education is required as well as attendance at departmental training provided by management.
· Two or more years of culinary experience in a health care environment preferred.
· Must have English reading and verbal communication skills to effectively communicate with co-workers, patients and care providers within the work environment.
· Must be able to write and follow written instructions in English.
· Must be able to perform basic math skills such as addition and subtraction to accurately complete required paperwork.
· Strong organizational and time management skills are desired.
· Must have excellent time management skills to be able to balance multiple priorities.
· Must be able to consistently exhibit considerate interpersonal relations with co-workers and maintain a strong customer service attitude, as demonstrated by behavior, when communicating and interacting with co-workers, patients and visitors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITES:
Disclaimer: Job descriptions are not intended, nor should they be construed to be, exhaustive lists of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. They are intended to be accurate reflections of the principal duties and responsibilities of this position. These responsibilities and competencies listed below may change from time to time.
1. Attends monthly department meetings.
2. Attends monthly departmental in-services.
3. Wears uniform following the ECHN and department uniform policy including appropriate hair covering at all times.
4. Washes hands and wears gloves following serve-safe and state regulatory requirements.
5. Completes all paperwork required by the position worked (such as HACCP logs, temperature logs, production sheets).
6. Demonstrates a willingness to assist co-workers and adjusts daily work routines to the needs of the department.
7. Sets up, restocks and maintains a clean work station following all sanitation and safety requirements. Labels, dates and properly rotates stock.
8. Completes work as outlined in the position job flow within the scheduled shift time.
9. Accurately follows package directions and/or recipes when preparing hot and cold food products.
10. Completes annual departmental serve-safe food safety training.
11. Demonstrates proper cooking techniques as evidenced by the quality and presentation of completed food items, adherence to applicable diet restrictions and customer satisfaction.
12. Wears personal protective equipment as required.
13. Completes ECHN annual mandatory education in a timely manner.