Reporting Relationship: Chief Executive Officer
General Summary of Responsibilities: The Hospitalist is the primary overseer of care for hospitalized patients from the time of admission to discharge. The Hospitalist team works around the clock, with night time hours being covered by eHospitalists. Their activities include patient care, teaching, research and leadership related to hospital medicine.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Provides appropriate medical services to all patients assigned to the physician/non-physician medical provider.
a. Consults with members of the medical staff regarding issues concerning the appropriate medical services to be provided to such patients.
b. Consults and cooperates with the clinical departments to facilitate patient care management.
c. Follows all existing referral patterns with respect to the referral of patients for specialist care.
d. Uses currently accepted methods and practices of medicine, adheres to applicable standards of care, medical ethics, policies and protocols.
e. Is responsible, on a case-by-case basis as the need arises, for taking all actions necessary to facilitate the appropriate transfer of a patient to or from another medical facility to gain access to skilled medical care.
2. Promotes and maintains a good working relationship with other members of the medical staff and employees.
3. Assists hospital in attaining any goals established from time to time regarding patient, employee and Medical Staff satisfaction in connection with the Hospitalists' delivery of services.
4. Assists hospital with the appropriate medical assessment, treatment and timely discharge of patients admitted to hospital for observation.
5. Assists in patient education and goal setting.
6. Works to abide by the 96-hour regulation for length of stay for Inpatients.
7. Reports to hospital, on an as needed basis, material concerns about quality of care, delay in delivery of medical services to patients, or any patient concerns.
8. Conducts/orders diagnostic tests, analyzes the results, and prescribes indicated treatment therapies.
9. Works diligently with primary care providers for a seamless transition from outpatient to hospital care, or hospital to outpatient, with accurate and timely documentation of H&P, Discharge Summary.
10. Provides effective and timely communications to primary care providers, patient and family concerning the clinical status of each patient admitted through the Hospitalist program.
11. Physician Hospitalist reviews non-physician hospitalist providers' orders, notes and care provided.
12. Obtains and maintains all medical staff appointments and clinical privileges as required by the hospital, and abide by and comply with all codes of ethics, rules, regulations and procedures adopted or established, from time to time, by the hospital and all applicable governmental or licensing authorities.
13. Complies with the requirements and standards of CMS, Joint Commission, and any other accrediting agencies designated as well as all applicable laws, rules and regulations.
14. Cooperates with hospital in implementing new procedures, controls and systems to promote and facilitate quality, cost controls, reimbursement functions, standardization of products and equipment, and other requests made by the hospital.
15. Promotes and maintains good public relations on behalf of hospital and assists hospital in attaining goals established regarding patient/employee/medical staff satisfaction in connection with delivery of clinical services.
16. Follows and abides by the BBGH Standards of Behavior.Other Job Functions:
1. Maintains and ensures patient confidentiality at all times
2. Reports to work on time and as scheduled
3. Wears ID badge while on duty
4. Attends committee meetings, as appropriate
5. Deals tactfully and patiently with patient/family concerns/complaints, or arranges for another member of the leadership team to respond
6. Performs other duties as assigned or requested
Required: Hospitalist Physician: Graduate of M.D./D.O program and medical residency or Hospitalist non-physician Medical Provider: PA- Completion of Physician Assistant program or ARPN- Completion of Master's Degree as APRN
Preferred: Hospitalist experience in a Hospital System or Critical Access Hospital: Practice in a general outpatient medical setting and/or inpatient care experiences in a Medical/Surgical Unit, Intensive Care Unit or similar.
Required: Current State of Nebraska license as M.D., D.O., P.A. or APRN
Current AHA and BLS
Conditional: ACLS within six months of hire PALS within six months of hire
• Neat, well-groomed, personable individual who enjoys working with the public
• Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team.
• Ability to respond quickly and efficiently to changing workload demands; ability to prioritize and complete tasks within appropriate time frame
• Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
All offers of employment are subject to a background check and drug screen.
Application Contact Information
Nebraska Department of Labor