Histology Medical Technologist
Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center is a 537- bed (including 100 nursing home beds) teaching hospital and a member of Catholic Health Services of Long Island. With almost 900 physicians on staff, and a level II Trauma Center, we care for well over 100,000 patients annually across the south shore of Long Island. Our reputation for excellence is built on great choices and empowered leadership, and fosters a team that's focused on evidence based practice, continual learning and exceptional quality of care.
The Histology Medical Technologist prepares Pathology and Autopsy tissues for examination by the Pathologist. Assists the Pathologist in gross specimen examination and frozen section procedures.
· Oversees the work of the Histology Technician, troubleshooting and assist with the development of new tests under the guidance of the Supervisor and/or medical staff.
· Establishes/monitors the department's quality control policies and ensures documentation of all quality control activities, instrument, and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed. Ensures that departmental supplies are stocked and well maintained.
· Correlates laboratory methods, procedures, and patient test results with age-specific population criteria and demonstrates appropriate understanding of the needs of patients and visitors for each specific age group. Addresses safety and psychological needs in planning or delivering care
· Establishes and implements service priorities, workflow patterns; monitors workflow to assure prompt and efficient delivery of services.
· Demonstrates the ability to evaluate departmental performance and recommends measures to improve services and quality of current methodologies.
· B.S. in Biology or equivalent degree, desired
· Licensed as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist under the NYS Department of Education.
· Five years successful experience in Histology, desired
At Catholic Health Services of Long Island your well-being comes first, with comprehensive compensation and benefits; our offerings go beyond the basics. In addition to multiple medical plans, life insurance, generous paid time off and flexible spending accounts, we also offer substantial tuition reimbursement, an employer funded pension plan and several savings plan options for your future.