The LPN provides hospice services to the patients and families in the Hospice program. Responsible for assessing the patient and providing physical care and emotional support. Communicating changes/needs to primary case management nurse.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS OR EQUIVALENTS: :
* EDUCATION: Licensed Practical Nurse.
* EXPERIENCE: 1-2 years experience in hospice, oncology or home health nursing preferred. Experience in death crisis intervention, and family and patient counseling skills.
* LICENSURE or CERTIFICATION: Active LPN License able to practice in TN and GA (Ga eNLC or TN Multi-State) Current CPR certification.
PROCESSES RESPONSIBLE FOR: :
* Responsible for physical and emotional assessment of Hospice patients.
* Responsible for taking and recording vital signs during each home visit.
* Responsible for evaluating and recording patient’s medication compliance and its effectiveness and coordinate with primary care RN or Clinical Manager (if covering for absent primary RN).
* Consults with physician as needed for new orders.
* Responsible for the holistic assessment of the patient (i.e., pain, nausea, skin breakdown, physical/emotional changes, etc.) in coordination with primary care RN or Clinical Manager.
* Manages symptoms with visits and telephone calls.
* Confers with social worker, primary care RN, CNA and Clinical Manager.
* Responsible for providing support to family members of Hospice patients.
* Listens to and supports family members/caregivers.
* Provides instruction and education to the family/caregiver.
* Responsible for completing daily/weekly documentation.
* Responsible for completing charting, flow sheets, nurses notes and clinical update sheets in a timely manner.
* Responsible for attending meetings as necessary.
* Attend team meetings as scheduled.
* Responsible for attending all required inservices.
* Serves on TQM teams as requested.
* Attends miscellaneous meetings as necessary.
* Assists and/or promotes a positive Hospice environment.
* Consistently evaluates the work environment, seeking self-improvement, including better time-management, and more efficient work methods as observed by the director.
* Represents the director and Hospice staff appropriately to customers.
* Contributes to the smooth and effective operation of Hospice.
* Works cooperatively with co-workers.
* Demonstrates a working knowledge of Hospice policies, demonstrating ability to assess a situation, consider the alternatives, and choose appropriate courses of action. Inspires confidence in customers and co-workers by being well-informed and prepared at all times.
* Demonstrates ability to organize, prioritize, and determine work needs.
* Maintains strict confidentiality.
* Willingly accepts additional work assignments or projects as indicated by timely and acceptable completion of such projects.
* Completes annual skills competency assessment.