The Physical Therapist supervises and participates in the application of physical therapeutic techniques for the rehabilitation of patients with physical disabilities, injuries, or diseases.
Line of Authority: :
Director of Therapy Services, Administrator/Director of Services
* Must be a graduate of a BS or MS level course in physical therapy as accredited by the American Physical Therapy Association.
* Must be licensed or registered under the statutes of the state in which the physical therapist will be practicing.
* One year’s experience in a supervisory role preferred.
* Active member of the state and national Physical Therapy Association preferred.
* Able to transfer, lift and guard patients safely with appropriate assistance.
* Able to bend, stoop, squat and lift numerous times daily (70 – 80 lbs) in the care of patients and use of equipment.
* Able to carry out fine motor skills with manual dexterity.
* Mental acuity and judgment/skills to adequately and safely perform job requirements.
* Able to see and hear adequately in order to respond to auditory and visual needs and clinical indications of the patients.
* Able to learn, absorb and apply professional training.
* Able to organize work procedures, assume responsibility and tactfully supervise others.
* Able to speak in a clear, concise voice in order to communicate adequately.
* Able to read, write and audit documentation.
* Must have reliable personal transportation.
* Coordinates and supervises physical therapy services.
* Provides physical therapy services as ordered by the referring physician and delegates appropriate portions of the treatment program to the licensed physical therapy assistant.
* Instructs the physical therapy staff in their delegated functions including precautions, special problems, contraindications, anticipated progress goals and plan for re-evaluation.
* Evaluates, plans and supervises treatments and programs including the establishment of short-term and long-term goals for patients as approved by the physician with periodic re-evaluations.
* Maintains patient care records as designated by the HomeCare agency, assuring that third party reimbursement qualifications are met, as well as all state/federal requirements.
* Consults with family members, physicians, and other health care professionals, as appropriate.
* Participates in in-service training for physical therapy.
* Checks for safety, care and cleaning of equipment.
* Serves as Utilization Review and/or Advisory Board Member as requested by Administrator/Director.
* Contributes to physical therapy related CQI, as requested
* Participates in interdisciplinary conferences to maintain continuity of patient care.
* Provides physical therapy services in accordance with all NHC HomeCare policies and procedures and state and federal guidelines.
* Maintains knowledge base of HomeCare physical therapy procedures and regulations as well as professional standards through attendance at workshops, inservices and individual research and reading.