Colusa Medical Center, provides both inpatient and outpatient services, including emergency services, to the surrounding community bringing exceptional healthcare and service to our community.
The primary responsibilities for a Phlebotomist/Lab Assistant involve specimen processing, plating and processing microbiology specimens, operating and maintaining semi-automated test equipment. He/she will perform a variety of venipuncture techniques involved in the collection of blood specimens from patients for laboratory procedures used in the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
* Possess and maintain a valid Certified Phlebotomy Technician Certificate issued by the California State Department of Health Services
* One year of experience performing venipuncture.
* Fundamentals of medical laboratory work.
* Laboratory equipment and terminology.
* Dangers of harmful bacteria and communicable disease.
* Basic office procedures and record keeping techniques
* Intermediate computer skills
* Strong communication skills, verbally and written.
* Laboratory Information System experience a plus
* Draws blood from patients
* Assembles equipment, such as tourniquet, needles, and disposable containers for needles, blood collection devices, gauze, cotton, and alcohol on work tray, according to requirements for specified tests or procedures.
* Verifies or records identity of patient
* Applies tourniquet to arm, locates accessible vein, swabs puncture area with antiseptic, and inserts needle into vein to draw blood into collection tube or bag.
* Obtain adequate blood samples from patients whose veins are difficult to locate, or from patients who may be hostile or unstable.
* Discern when to request assistance in drawing blood.
* Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
* Follow oral and written instructions.
* Perform routine clerical work.
* Keep accurate records.
* Prepare standardized reports and forms..
* Perform venipuncture requiring manual dexterity, hand steadiness and balance.
* Discern colors to determine order of draw, based on color-coded test tubes.
* Learn and apply routine laboratory techniques.
* Withdraws needle, applies treatment to puncture site, and labels and stores blood container for subsequent processing.
* May prick finger to draw blood.