I. JOB SUMMARY
Under supervision, provides direct nursing care to assigned patients; performs approved nursing procedures. Assists in the assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of nursing care. Serves as a patient advocate within the health care system. Responsible for performing or assisting patients with daily care and activities, performs patient care procedures and treatments to patients with complicated nursing problems and assists with the care of patients in critical condition. Is responsible for assisting with the safety, comfort, care, and treatment of patients according to established standards. Participates in the Hospitals Quality Improvement and Service Excellence programs. Demonstrates understanding of the philosophy and objectives, and adheres to policy and procedures of the department and organization.
1. A graduate of a school of Vocational Nursing.
1. One year of Medical Surgical experience preferred.
1. Current licensure as a Licensed Vocational Nurse in the State of Texas.
2. BLS certification current or obtained within two months of hire.
D. Communication Skills:
1. Able to read, write and speak English. Read, write and speak Spanish a plus.
III. PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF WORKING CONDITIONS
Work is of medium demand. Standing and walking most of time on duty. Some lifting of patients with assistance. Frequent reaching and handling of instruments and equipment when attending to patients needs. Fingering usage when changing dressings and bandages. Talking and hearing for discussions with patients and supervisors. Near-visual acuity for accurate reading of gages and thermometers and for recording on patients charts. Works inside.
IV. MACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT, AND WORK AIDES
A. Medical equipment
B. Patient care equipment
C. Computer / fax / copier/ telephone
V. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
A. Works under the supervision of Medical Director and/or Physician Assistant/Advanced Nurse Practitioner
B. Patient Care Responsibilities:
1. Utilizes the nursing process:
a. Performs data collection to assist in patient assessment.
b. Plans nursing care including administering medications ( orally, topically, IM and SQ), perform dressing changes, obtain blood specimens ( veni puncture and capillary puncture), Obtain basic screenings ( dipstick urine, rapid flu and strep testing, bedside glucose testing, occult blood, qualitative pregnancy, tape test pinworms, PKUs for newborns, lead testing for pediatric patients, etc.)
c. Trained and certified to perform DOT and non DOT drug screens and breath alcohol testing.
c. Provides care for patients.
d. Necessitates referrals as needed to other physicians or facilities a needed.
e. Evaluates care.
f. Appropriately governs and necessitates calling pharmacies for new prescriptions and /or refills.
g. Governs lab equipment and supplies: reorders supplies as needed.
h. Sets up lab equipment and supplies upon arrival to work in AM in preparation of daily patient load.
i. Vein puncture and capillary puncture for specimen collections as needed in clinic.
j. Participates in any patient services that are initiated and/or developed by the Hospital or Clinic facility.
2. Documents patient care. Maintains medical records and nursing reports.
3. Communicates with physician and other team members.
4. Instructs patient and family.
5. Administers medications.
6. Maintains nursing unit.
7. Maintains equipment.
B. Communication Skills:
1. Communicates patient information
2. Documents patient information
3. Transcribes physician orders.
C. Interpersonal Skills:
1. Maintains adaptability.
2. Supports unit team.
3. Resolves problems.
4. Demonstrates professional behavior.
4. Promotes Service Excellence.
5. Assist others in sharing responsibilities of fellow employees to maintain smooth functioning in workplace if needed.
D. Personnel Issues:
1. Follows personnel policies and procedures.
2. Maintains safe environment.
3. Participates in continuous Quality Improvement programs.
E. Abides by the HMH Legal Compliance Code of Conduct.
F. Maintains a safe work environment and reports safety concerns appropriately.
G. Performs other related duties as needed or assigned.
H. Is a TEAM PLAYER.