Hospice of the East Bay (HEB) is a community-based program of home care for terminally ill patients. Care is given to patients and families by an interdisciplinary group consisting of physicians, registered nurses, home health aides, social workers, spiritual care coordinators, dieticians, pharmacists and patient support volunteers. Bereavement care is provided to the family for one year after the death. Hospice services are given regardless of the ability to pay, making the agency dependent on donations and insurance billing to meet operating expenses.
HEB is looking for a Intake Assistant/Admissions Specialist that is passionate about our patients, their families, and the community we serve. Come grow with us!
Our Employee Benefits
Hospice East Bay is committed to providing a comprehensive benefits and compensation package for our employees. Our health benefits include 100% employer-paid premiums for our high deductible medical plan offered with a Health Savings Plan partially employer funded for eligible employees. Employer paid dental and vision premiums, Additional benefits include generous paid time off program, educational assistance, and employer-matched contributions to our retirement plan (up to $2,000 annually), Life/AD&D coverage, a comprehensive Employee Assistance Program, and convenient discounts on many services, including gym memberships, dry cleaning, produce delivery, mobile phone service, and automotive care.
Reporting to the Admissions Manager, this position is primarily responsible for assisting the Intake Nurse in the referral process which includes: answering incoming phones calls promptly processing incoming referrals; checking for and obtaining all of the pertinent demographic information; obtaining the payer source; entering the referral in to the EMR; updating referrals as needed. This position is responsible for promoting optimal customer service at all times.
· Assist with responding to incoming referral calls and obtaining demographic information needed for the referral, including patient and family member's demographics. Obtain H&P, progress notes, D/C summaries and signed Certificate of Terminal Illness. (CTI) and any other pertinent documents
· Enter patient demographic information into the EMR within 10 minutes of receiving referral
· Collaborates with the Intake Nurses to assure that referrals are processed accurately and timely
· Provides education to community member call inquiries about Hospice philosophy, HEB services and Admission process
· Assemble and copy patient data as needed
· Maintain a system for reporting inquiries, referrals, admissions and consults
· Monitor and update Admissions and Bruns House boards for accuracy
· Maintain system for HEB staff review (audit) of records: scan, fax, copy, email etc.
· General filing as assigned by Admission Manager
· Assist with preparing charts for admissions: Home program, SNF, Bruns House
· Assist with processing charts upon return from admissions nurse: check for required forms, signatures; obtain needed items for completion of chart. Forward completed chart to appropriate staff member
· Must be able to work well under pressure, meeting multiple and sometimes competing deadlines, demands and changing priorities
· Must demonstrate cooperative behavior with colleagues and supervisors
· Must be flexible with work assignments and professional when dealing with clients and staff
· Must adhere to departmental goals, objectives and performance standards
· Must have the medical knowledge and critical thinking skills to effectively assist with the process for referral to agency services
· Must understand and be able to communicate all agency services to callers
· Must have excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
· Must be detail oriented and able to prioritize work independently and follow through on tasks
· Must be able to handle sensitive issues, a self-starter with a high degree of initiative, motivation and flexibility who is able to form harmonious professional relationships with internal and external customers
· Must exhibit a can do attitude toward assignments, knowledge and understanding of the hospice philosophy and hospice criteria for admission
· Knowledge and understanding of the palliative care philosophy and admission criteria for the program
· Knowledge of private insurance, Medicare and Medi-Cal regulations as well as the Hospice Benefit
· Able to remain sedentary at desk for 90% of day
Experience & Education
· High school graduate with AA or BS degree preferred
· At least one year experience in home health or hospice agency, physician's office or hospital preferred
· Knowledge of medical insurance companies and managed care systems preferred
· Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Windows programs
· Must have a valid California license and reliable vehicle for minimal travel
· Other duties as assigned