Administers a variety of therapeutic procedures and agents utilized in the short and long term rehabilitation of in and out patients (orthopedic, neurological, pulmonary, cardiac, medical and surgical) within the guidelines set forth in physician orders).
• Has achieved/maintained specialty certification
• Seeks out educational opportunities to expand patient care knowledge base
• Receives positive letters/comments from patients, families or staff regarding interactions or treatment techniques
• Notes diagnosis of patient and takes all precautions for observing indications and contraindications
• Evaluates patient's emotional and physical condition
• Explains treatment to patient/family/others
• Formulates measurable goals and individualized treatment plan
• Integrates evaluation findings into treatment plan; observes and follows general guidelines and contraindications for physical therapy
• Utilizes age appropriate therapeutic techniques for assigned caseload
• Monitors effectiveness of treatment and adjusts treatment plan accordingly
• Initiates conversation/interaction with physicians and other health care providers for optimal provision of services
• Maintains records pertinent to patient evaluations
• Maintains timely and complete documentation of all aspects of patient care
• Documentation reflects patient response to treatment
• Progress towards goals is reflected at least weekly
• Flow sheet documentation reflects quality of patient performance
• Appropriately utilizes departmental and hospital approved forms.
• Maintains current physician orders
• Correctly selects appropriate database, obtains and interprets written referral and patient information gained from review of the medical record and verbally from the patient
• Selects, performs, documents appropriate tests corresponding to diagnosis and functional limitations
• Reports to and recommends changes to the physician as needed
Acts as a Resource:
• Acts as a resource to entry level staff regarding complex cases and new/advanced techniques
• Provides input into the supervision of students
• Provides direct supervision of students
• Demonstrates the ability to teach techniques or skills in a clear, concise manner
• In-services staff upon return from conferences or seminars
• Initiates ways to assist or support other staff members with department related tasks
• Interacts with peers in a kind and professional manner
• Consistently demonstrates an approachable style of interaction
• When requested, assists other staff members with department related tasks
• Supports hospital and system-wide patient quality and safety practices as identified by National Quality Forum, JCAHO and system-wide Quality and Safety Plan.
• Demonstrates knowledge of and follows JCAHO Patient Safety Goals.
• Supports department-specific patient safety and quality initiatives as defined by department manager.
• Demonstrates service excellence skills to support high-level patient satisfaction as defined by department manager.
Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
• Performs other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
• Communication and interpersonal skills
• Computer Skills
• Safe application of modalities
• Assessment of patient response to modalities
• Application of assistive devices
• Assessment of effectiveness of assistive device
• Development of appropriate therapeutic exercise program
• Familiarity with hospital /departmental policies/protocols
• Effectively communicates with hospital staff
• Possesses ability to educate others regarding rehab related issues
• Educates/instructs hospital staff in appropriate follow-up
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Physical therapy required
Experience: 0-3 years' experience preferred. New Graduates considered.
Certification/Licensure: Current MA license or eligibility; current BLS certification preferred